Geschichte Podcasts

Ocmulgee YTB-532 - Geschichte

Ocmulgee YTB-532 - Geschichte


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Ocmulgee
(YTB-532: dp. 325 (f.); 1. 100'; T. 25'; dr. 11'6"; s. 12 k.; kpl. 8; GL Hisada.)

Ocmulgee (YTB-532) wurde von der Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.J., am 1. November 1944 aufgelegt am 30. Dezember 1944; und am 2. Juni 1945 in Dienst gestellt.

Ocmulgee diente dem 3. Marinedistrikt, bis sie nach Green Cove Sprin~s, Florida, verlegt und im März 1946 als Reserve außer Dienst gestellt wurde. Sie blieb in Green Cove Sprinp fest, bis sie reaktiviert und im Mai 1947 dem 6. Sie wurde im Februar 1962 als YTM-532 umbenannt und ist bis 1969 in diesem Bezirk im Dienst geblieben.


Einen Nationalpark in Zentralgeorgien bekommen

Der Ocmulgee River fließt durch das Herz von Georgia. Der National Park Service sucht nach Möglichkeiten, die gesamte Geschichte und das Leben, das er enthält, zu erhalten und zu schützen.


Geschichte

Eiszeitjäger kommen im Südosten an und hinterlassen eine ihrer charakteristischen "Clovis"-Speerspitzen auf dem Macon-Plateau (in den 1930er Jahren war dies das erste derartige Artefakt, das in situ im Süden der USA gefunden wurde).

8.000-9.000 v. Chr. Übergangsphase

Die Menschen passen sich an das sich allmählich erwärmende Wetter an, wenn die Gletscher schmelzen und viele Säugetiere der Eiszeit aussterben.

1.000-8.000 v. Chr. Archaische Zeit

Effiziente Jagd-/Sammlungsanpassung an ein Klima, ähnlich wie heute der Einsatz von Atlatl (Speerwerfer), Holzbearbeitungswerkzeugen usw. Weißwedelhirsche werden zu einem Grundnahrungsmittel umfangreicher Muschelhügel entlang der Küste und einiger Binnenflüsse.

2.500 v. Chr. Erste Keramik in diesem Land erscheint entlang der Küste von Georgia/South Carolina und dringt bald in das heutige Middle Georgia ein.

1.000 v. Chr. – 900 n. Chr Waldzeit

Mit Sand und Kies gehärtete Keramik, manchmal verziert mit aufwendigen Mustern, die vor dem Brennen in die Oberfläche eingeschnitten, punktiert oder gestempelt wurden Anbau von Sonnenblumen, Kürbissen und mehreren anderen Pflanzen Bau von semi-permanenten Dörfern Steinbildhaufen und irdene Grab- und Plattformhügel Verbindungen zu den Adena/Hopewell Cultures weiter nördlich und nach Weeden Island in Florida und Südgeorgien.

900-1150 n. Chr Frühe Mississippi-Periode

Auf dem Macon Plateau taucht eine neue Lebensweise auf, von der man annimmt, dass sie ihren Ursprung im Mississippi-Gebiet hat. Diese Menschen, deren Keramik sich von denen der Woodland-Kulturen in der Region unterscheidet, bauen ein großes zeremonielles Zentrum mit riesigen irdenen Tempel- / Grab- / Wohnhügeln und Erdhütten, die als formelle Ratskammern dienen. Ihre Wirtschaft wird von der Landwirtschaft unterstützt, mit Mais, Bohnen, Kürbis und anderen Feldfrüchten, die in den reichen Flussauen angebaut werden. Indigene Waldbewohner in den umliegenden Gebieten interagieren mit diesen Menschen, die frühe Symbole und Artefakte besitzen, die mit dem südöstlichen zeremoniellen Komplex (Southern Cult) in Verbindung stehen.

1150-1350 Reife Mississippi-Periode

Die große Stadt auf dem Macon Plateau fällt ab und die Lamar und Stubbs Mounds and Villages erscheinen gleich flussabwärts. Diese Städte sind eine Kombination aus der alten Woodland-Kultur und Mississippian-Ideen. Der Southern Cult, der sich durch extravagante künstlerische Motive und spezialisierte Artefakte auszeichnet, blüht an Orten wie Roods Landing und Etowah (GA), Moundville (AL), Hiwasee Island (TN), Cahokia (IL) und Spiro (OK).

1350-1650 Späte Mississippi-Periode (Protohistorisch)

Die Lamar-Kultur, benannt nach der Lamar Mounds and Village Unit des Ocmulgee National Monument, verbreitet sich in den südöstlichen Häuptlingstümern, die durch kleinere, zahlreichere, oft mit Palisaden bewachsene Dörfer mit einem zeremoniellen Zentrum gekennzeichnet sind, das durch eine oder zwei Hügelkombinationen aus Woodland und Mississippian gekennzeichnet ist Elemente.

1540 Chronisten der Expedition von Hernando DeSoto in das Innere Nordamerikas schreiben Sie die ersten Beschreibungen der Lamar und verwandter Kulturen, Vorfahren der historischen Creek (Muscogean), Cherokee (Irokee), Yuchi (Euchee) und anderer südöstlicher Völker. Die meisten ihrer Hauptstädte liegen in der Nähe von reichen Flussniederlandfeldern mit Mais, Bohnen und Kürbis. In vielen Städten gibt es offene Plätze und irdene Tempelhügel. Öffentliche Gebäude und Wohnhäuser bestehen aus aufrechten Baumstämmen, die mit Weinreben oder Rohrgeflecht verwoben und mit Lehm verputzt sind. Einige sind aufwendig verziert und enthalten große Holzschnitzereien. 600 Männer und 300 Pferde von DeSotos Expedition verwüsten die lokale Nahrungsversorgung Epidemien europäischer Krankheiten dezimieren viele Bevölkerungsgruppen.

1565 Der spanische gründen ihre erste dauerhafte Siedlung in St. Augustine, errichten Außenposten in Städten entlang der Atlantikküste im Norden und beginnen mit der Missionierung der Indianer. Priester und Soldaten reisen die Flusssysteme hinauf in andere Städte im Inneren des Gebiets, das später Georgien werden sollte.

1670 Die Briten Gründung von Charles Town (Charleston, SC) an der Atlantikküste. Trotz spanischem Widerstand nehmen englische Entdecker Kontakt und Handel mit Städten im Landesinneren auf.

1690 Ein britischer Handelsposten wurde am Ochese Creek (heute Ocmulgee River an der Stelle, die jetzt innerhalb des Ocmulgee National Monument geschützt ist) gebaut. Eine Reihe von Muscogee-Städten ziehen vom Chattahoochee River in diese Nähe, um in der Nähe der Engländer zu sein. Zu dieser Zeit wird der Fluss Ocmulgee Ochese-hatchee oder Ochisi-hatchi (verschiedene Schreibweisen) genannt. Die Städte sind als Ochese Creek Nation bekannt. Die Briten bezeichnen sie schließlich einfach als "Creeks". Sie sprechen Variationen der muscogäischen Sprache, aber ihre Konföderation umfasst andere Gruppen wie die Yuchi, die verschiedene Sprachen sprechen. Die Creeks erwerben Pferde aus dem spanischen Florida und Waffen von den Briten. Ihre Kultur und Kleidung wird durch die Verwendung von Handelswaren wie Eisentöpfen, Stahlmessern und Baumwollstoffen verändert.

1704 Oberst James Moore, führt mit einer Bande von etwa fünfzig Männern aus Charles Town 1.000 Krieger aus den Creek-Städten am Ocmulgee River nach Florida. Sie verwüsten das spanische Apalachee-Missionssystem und treiben die Spanier zurück nach St. Augustine. Nachdem viele Bewohner Nordfloridas ausgerottet sind, ziehen einige der Creeks in das Gebiet und gliedern die Überlebenden in ihre eigene Gruppe ein. Diese Menschen werden später als Seminolen und Miccosuki bezeichnet.

1715 Der Yamassee-Krieg bricht aus Protest gegen britische Demütigungen im Zusammenhang mit dem Pelzhandel aus, einschließlich der Verschleppung von Indianern, die als Sklaven zur Arbeit in karibischen Zuckerplantagen verschifft wurden. Viele Händler auf indischem Territorium werden getötet. Als Vergeltung brennen die Briten Ocmulgee Town am Ochese Creek nieder. Die Creek-Städte ziehen sich zum Chattahoochee River zurück und die Yuchis ziehen mit. Die Leute sind als die Lower Creeks bekannt. Die Upper Creeks liegen im Nordosten der Flüsse Coosa und Tallapoosa.

1733 Die Kolonie Georgia lässt sich auf Land entlang der Ufer des Savannah River nieder, das General James Oglethorpe von Chief Tomochichi der Yamacraws, einer mit den Lower Creeks verwandten Gruppe, gegeben wurde. Die Kolonie dient als Puffer zwischen South Carolina und dem spanischen Florida.

1739 General James Oglethorpe, Gründer der Georgia Colony, reist auf dem Weg nach Coweta (in der Nähe des heutigen Columbus, GA) den alten Handelsweg durch die Hügel und alten Pflanzfelder von Ocmulgee, um sich mit den Creeks zu treffen. Einer seiner Ranger schreibt eine kurze Beschreibung der Hügel am heutigen Ocmulgee National Monument. Eine westliche Grenze für die Kolonie wird entlang des Ogeechee River definiert. Das Gebiet erstreckt sich entlang der Küste bis zur heutigen Nordgrenze Floridas.

1774 William Bartram, bekannter Naturforscher und Botaniker, folgt dem Lower Creek Trading Path von Augusta durch die Gegend. In seinem Tagebuch zeichnet er diesen Bericht über die Ocmulgee Old Fields auf:

"Auf den Höhen sind diese niedrigen Grundstücke noch sichtbar

Denkmäler oder Spuren einer antiken Stadt, z. B. künstliche

Berge oder Terrassen, Plätze und Ufer, die beträchtliche

Bereiche. Ihre alten Felder und Pflanzflächen erstrecken sich auf und ab

der Fluss, fünfzehn oder zwanzig Meilen von dieser Stelle entfernt. Wenn wir zu

dem Konto gutschreiben, das die Creeks von sich geben, dies

Ort ist bemerkenswert, weil er die erste Stadt oder Siedlung ist, wenn

sie setzten sich (wie sie es nennen) oder etablierten sich, nachdem

ihre Auswanderung aus dem Westen. "

1778 Während des Unabhängigkeitskrieges, viele Creeks wollen neutral bleiben, aber Alexander McGillivray (von Creek-schottischer Abstammung, in South Carolina ausgebildet, Haupthäuptling der Upper und Lower Creeks) führt sie zu einer Allianz mit England.

1793 Erfindung des Baumwoll-Gin beschleunigt den Wunsch nach reicher Flusssohle erheblich. Die Creek-Indianer, die meisten von ihnen ausgezeichnete Bauern, passen sich schnell an eine auf Baumwolle basierende Wirtschaft an.

1805 Der erste Vertrag von Washington tritt den Rest des Landes zwischen den Flüssen Oconee und Ocmulgee ab, mit Ausnahme eines 3x5-Meilen-Streifens, der derzeit als Old Ocmulgee Fields Reserve bekannt ist und den die Muscogee (Creek) nicht aufgeben wollen. Der Vertrag erlaubt den Vereinigten Staaten, eine Straße über die Creek Nation zum Alabama River und Einrichtungen für öffentliche Unterkünfte entlang dieser Straße zu bauen. Ein Großteil dieser "Federal Road" folgt dem alten Lower Creek Trading Path und erstreckt sich schließlich von Washington, D.C. nach New Orleans. Der Vertrag sieht auch eine Militärfestung der Vereinigten Staaten im Reservat vor, um die Grenze entlang des Ocmulgee River zu schützen. Dieser Außenposten heißt Fort Hawkins zu Ehren von Benjamin Hawkins, US-Indischer Agent der Creeks und Freund von George Washington.

1806 FortHawkins ist in kurzer Entfernung von den Hügeln gebaut. Es dient als Grenzvorposten, Handels- und Zentrum und Standort für Vertragszahlungen an die Creeks, bis die Grenze der Vereinigten Staaten später auf das Alabama-Territorium ausgedehnt wird. Während seiner gesamten Existenz als US-Militärfestung befand es sich auf Land, das der Konföderation Muscogee (Creek) gehörte.

1811 Shawnee Häuptling Tecumseh, In Zusammenarbeit mit seinem Bruder, dem Propheten, reist er die Grenze auf und ab und ermahnt die Indianer, ihre Pflüge, ihren Whisky und die Wege der Weißen zu verwerfen. Einige der Creeks schließen sich seiner Bewegung an und fast jede Stadt hat eine sogenannte "Red Stick"-Fraktion. Die Führer sind so gespalten wie ihr Volk. William McIntosh tritt als Anführer der Fraktion auf, die der US-Regierung gegenüber loyal ist. William Weatherford (Red Eagle) wird der wichtigste Anführer der Red Sticks.

1812 General Andrew Jackson (später Präsident) hält während des Krieges von 1812 in Fort Hawkins. Das Fort ist ein wichtiger Treffpunkt für die Entsendung von Truppen. Dieser Krieg mit Großbritannien betrifft die Fragen neutraler Seerechte und die britische Beteiligung an indischen Problemen entlang der Grenze. Die Feindseligkeiten zwischen Creek-Loyalisten und den traditionalistischen Red Sticks nehmen zu. Red Sticks greifen Tuckabatchee und mehrere andere Upper Creek-Städte im Norden von Alabama an und zerstören sie.

1819 Der alte Lower Creek Trading Path, heute Federal Road genannt, ist seit vielen Jahren die Hauptverkehrsader von Norden nach Südwesten (State Highway 49 folgt einem Großteil dieser Route durch Zentralgeorgien). Es dient als Postweg von New York nach New Orleans. In der Nähe der Hügel im Old Ocmulgee Fields Reserve wird eine Fähre gebaut, und das erste weiße Kind, später Mrs. Isaac Winship, wird in der Gegend geboren.

1821 Die Bäche das Land zwischen dem Ocmulgee River und dem Flint River aufgeben.

1823 Der Creek-Rat verabschiedet ein Gesetz, das die Todesstrafe für jeden vorsieht, der Land ohne die Autorität des Rates abtritt. Der Druck auf die Abschiebung Indiens nimmt weiter zu. Einige Creeks, darunter William McIntosh, glauben, dass die Entfernung unvermeidlich ist.

Die Stadt Macon liegt auf der anderen Flussseite von Fort Hawkins. Die erste Zeitung in Mittelgeorgien, die Georgien Messenger, wird in Fort Hawkins veröffentlicht und ein Postamt wird eingerichtet.

1825 Der Vertrag von Indian Springs Die Abtretung der letzten Creek-Länder in Georgia wird von Chief William McIntosh unterzeichnet. Sein Cousin ist der Gouverneur von Georgia. Er verkauft das Land der Creek und wird infolgedessen von seinen eigenen Leuten ermordet. Der Vertrag wird von der Bundesregierung für illegal erklärt, aber die georgischen Behörden widersprechen. Sie drücken stärker zum Entfernen.

1826 Der zweite Vertrag von Washington gibt offiziell die letzten Creek-Länder in Georgia auf. Einige Creeks schließen sich den Seminole in Florida an, andere ziehen nach Alabama. Etwa 1.300, meist Mitglieder der McIntosh-Fraktion, siedelten in das Tal des Arkansas River im "Indian Territory", dem heutigen Bundesstaat Oklahoma, um, auf Land, das ihnen im Rahmen des freiwilligen Umsiedlungsprogramms der Regierung überlassen wurde

1828 Der alte Ocmulgee Felder reservieren, einschließlich Fort Hawkins und die Hügel, wird vermessen und in Grundstücke eingegliedert, die in die Stadt Macon eingegliedert sind. Roger und Eliazar McCall kaufen einen Teil der Old Fields und gründen ein erfolgreiches Unternehmen zur Herstellung von Flachbooten. Über das Hügelgebiet berichtete die Lokalzeitung:

"Die Stätte ist so romantisch, dass mit der Beerdigung

Hügel angrenzend, sind seit langem Lieblingsplätze von uns

Dorfschönheiten und -schönheiten und Objekte der Neugier für Fremde.

Wir sollten es bedauern, diese Denkmäler der Antike und von

unsere Geschichte geebnet vom schmutzigen Pflug - - das können wir uns wünschen

sie könnten immer als gegenwärtig bleiben, heilig der Einsamkeit, zu

Reflexion und Inspiration."

1836 Der Creek-Krieg von 1836 endet, als etwa 2.500 Menschen, darunter mehrere Hundert Krieger in Ketten, zu Fuß nach Montgomery, AL, marschiert und während der extremen Julihitze auf Lastkähne gedrängt werden. Sie werden von Dampfschiffen den Alabama River hinunter getragen und beginnen ihre Zwangsumsiedlung in das Indianergebiet. Während des Sommers und Winters von 1836 bis Anfang 1837 unternehmen über 14.000 Creeks die dreimonatige Reise nach Oklahoma, eine Reise von über 800 Landmeilen und weitere 400 auf dem Wasserweg. Die meisten gehen nur mit dem, was sie tragen können.

1839 Der Cherokee beginnen ihren "Trail of Tears". Einige wenige entkommen und bleiben in den Bergen von East Tennessee und North Carolina, wo die meisten ihrer Nachkommen jetzt im Qualla-Reservat um Cherokee, NC, leben.

1843 Die Zentralbahn baut eine Eisenbahnlinie nach Macon durch die Ocmulgee Old Fields und zerstört einen Teil des Kleinen Tempelhügels und der großen prähistorischen Stadt. Ein Lokomotiv- "roundhouse" befindet sich in der Nähe des Funeral Mound.

1840 Die riesigen Eichen auf den Hügeln werden für Holz geschnitten. Bis zu diesem Zeitpunkt waren die Old Ocmulgee Fields und Brown's Mount (eine weitere malerische prähistorische Stadt etwa 10 km flussabwärts) beliebte Orte für Picknicks und Partys, zuerst von den Offizieren in Fort Hawkins, dann von den Einwohnern von Macon.

Ein Großteil des Standorts Macon Plateau wird Teil der Dunlap Plantation. In der Nähe des Großen Tempelhügels wird Ton für die Ziegelherstellung abgebaut und in der Nähe wird ein Düngemittelfaktor gebaut.

1864 Gewerkschaftsgeneral George Stoneman nähert sich im Juli der Stadt Macon. Gouverneur Brown, der sich in Macon aufhält, fordert jeden arbeitsfähigen Mann auf, die Stadt zu verteidigen. In der Nähe des Geländes von Fort Hawkins ist eine Batterie stationiert. An der Eisenbahnbrücke werden große Geschütze auf Flachwagen geladen

über den Ocmulgee River innerhalb der Grenzen des heutigen Ocmulgee National Monument. General Stoneman zerstört Griswoldville, fährt weiter nach Macon und brennt die Eisenbahnbrücke über Walnut Creek auf dem Grundstück von Dunlap nieder. Er benutzt das Bauernhaus der Dunlap als sein Hauptquartier während der folgenden Schlacht. Da es ihm nicht gelingt, die Stadt einzunehmen, werden Stoneman und seine Truppen verfolgt

in das nahe gelegene Jones County, wo sie in der Sunshine Church besiegt werden. General Stoneman und seine Offiziere werden im Camp Oglethorpe in Macon eingesperrt und seine Mannschaften werden in das berüchtigte Kriegsgefangenenlager Andersonville geschickt. Stoneman ist der ranghöchste Offizier der Union, der während des Bürgerkriegs gefangen genommen wurde.

1874 Ein zweiter riesiger Schnitt für eine Eisenbahn (noch in Gebrauch) wird durch das Hügelgebiet ausgegraben und zerstört einen großen Teil des Grabhügels. Laut Charles C. Jones in seinem Buch Antiquitäten der Südindianer, viele Reliquien und menschliche Bestattungen werden bei dieser Arbeit entfernt.

1933 Ein großer Teil von McDougal Mound wird entfernt, um als Füllschmutz für die Main Street zu verwenden. Das Bergsteigen mit dem Motorrad hinterlässt Narben an den Hängen und am Gipfel des Great Temple Mound. Eine Gruppe lokaler Bürger ist überzeugt, dass die Hügel von großer historischer Bedeutung sind und erhalten werden sollten. Unter der Leitung von General Walter A. Harris, Dr. Charles C. Harrold und Linton Solomon suchen sie Unterstützung bei der Smithsonian Institution, die Dr. Arthur Kelly entsendet, um archäologische Ausgrabungen auf dem Macon Plateau zu organisieren und durchzuführen.

1934 Archäologische Schätze sind ausgegraben. Im Laufe der Arbeiten wird vom Kongress ein Gesetz verabschiedet, um die Einrichtung eines 2.000 Hektar großen Ocmulgee-Nationalparks zu genehmigen. Die archäologischen Bemühungen sind die größten Ausgrabungen, die jemals im Land durchgeführt wurden. Die Arbeitskräfte werden von Hunderten von Arbeitern bereitgestellt, die im Rahmen mehrerer öffentlicher Arbeitsprogramme der Weltwirtschaftskrise beschäftigt sind.

1936 Präsident Franklin D. Roosevelt unterschreibt am 12. Dezember die Proklamation zur Errichtung des Ocmulgee National Monument und weist den National Park Service an, 2.000 Hektar Land zu bewahren und zu schützen, das allgemein als Old Ocmulgee Fields bekannt ist. " Aufgrund wirtschaftlicher Zwänge werden nur 678,48 Hektar erworben, darunter 40 Hektar in den freistehenden Lamar Mounds and Village. Später werden der Lamar Mounds and Village Unit weitere 5 Hektar hinzugefügt und das als Drakes Field bekannte Grundstück wird der Nation zur Aufnahme in das Ocmulgee National Monument von der Stadt Macon gespendet. Der Park umfasst derzeit 702 Hektar.

1940 Besatzungsmitglieder aus der Zeit der Großen Depression, darunter Mitglieder der Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1426, die im Ocmulgee National Monument stationiert sind, werden zum Militärdienst eingezogen, wenn die Vereinigten Staaten in den Zweiten Weltkrieg eintreten. Die Menschen werden in das nahe gelegene Camp Wheeler geschickt, das zum größten Infanterie-Trainingslager der Nation wird.

1960er Jahre Eine Autobahn (I-16), durch die Macon Plateau Unit gebaut, schneidet das primäre Besuchernutzungsgebiet von der kilometerlangen Flussgrenze des Parks ab und verursacht signifikante hydrologische Veränderungen an Land in den Flussauen. Bei archäologischen Ausgrabungen innerhalb des Autobahnkorridors innerhalb des Parks werden Beweise für Muscogee (Creek) und frühere Siedlungen sowie drei menschliche Bestattungen entdeckt. Eine Reihe wichtiger prähistorischer und historischer Stätten außerhalb des Parks sind zerstört oder schwer beschädigt, darunter das nahe gelegene Gledhill I, II und III (wo ein Artefaktsammler eine Clovis-Speerspitze aus der Eiszeit beim Entfernen von Füllschmutz für den Straßenbau findet) mit der New Pond Site, dem Adkins Mound und der Shellrock Cave. Archaische, Woodland-, Mississippian- und historische Creek-Dörfer und Campingplätze auf der anderen Flussseite, wie Mile Track, Napier, Mossy Oak und Horseshoe Bend, wurden bereits in den 1940er Jahren durch Deichbau beschädigt.

1970er Jahre Die Swift Creek Mounds und das Dorf, Typ-Site für eine weit verbreitete Woodland Period-Kultur, wird für den Bau eines Schießplatzes des Sheriffs Department von Bibb County zerstört. Dr. Kellys frühe archäologische Sammlungen, die noch immer vom National Park Service betreut werden, sind die einzigen Überreste dieser großen Stätte, die sich auf den Ocmulgee Old Fields in der Nähe der Lamar Village Unit des Ocmulgee National Monument befand.

1992 Nachkommen von Roger und Eliazar McCall spenden Sie fast 300 Morgen an die Walnut Creek-Grenze des Parks an den National Park Service. Die Archäologische Conservancy akzeptiert das Eigentum bis zur Eingliederung in das Ocmulgee National Monument. Das Land, das seit fast 175 Jahren im Besitz dieser Familie ist, wurde als Scott-McCall Archaeological Preserve bezeichnet.

1997 Der alte Ocmulgee Felder sind berechtigt, das erste National Register of Historic Places zu werden, das für ein traditionelles Kulturgut oder einen Bezirk östlich des Mississippi aufgeführt wird. Diese Auszeichnung erkennt die große Bedeutung der Region für die Muscogee (Creek) an.

Gegenwärtig Die Mitarbeiter des Parks, die OcmulgeeNationaldenkmal Verein, die Freunde der Ocmulgee Old Fields und die vielen Freiwilligen des Parks weiterhin der Mission verpflichtet, diesen ganz besonderen Ort zum Wohle der heutigen Bürger und künftiger Generationen zu schützen und zu erhalten.

Corkran, David H. Die Creek-Grenze, 1540-1783. Norman: University of Oklahoma, Presse, 1967.

Cotterill, Robert S. Die Südindianer, die Geschichte der fünf zivilisierten Stämme vor der Vertreibung.

Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1954.

Debo, Angie. Der Weg zum Verschwinden: Eine Geschichte der Creek-Indianer. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1941.

Eggleston, George Cary. Roter Adler und die Kriege mit den Creek-Indianern von Alabama. New York: Dodd, Mead, 1878.

Vorarbeiter, Grant. Die fünf zivilisierten Stämme. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1934.

Vorarbeiter, Grant. Indianerumzug. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1932.

Vorarbeiter, Grant. Indianer und Pioniere. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1932.

Grün, Donald. Die Creek-Leute. Indische Stammes-Reihe. Phönix, 1973.

Griffith, Benjamin W., jr. McIntosh und Weatherford, Creek Indian Leaders. University of Alabama Press. 1988.

Hudson, Charles M. Die südöstlichen Indianer. Knoxville: The University of Tennessee Press, 1976.

Swanton, John R. Frühgeschichte der Creek-Indianer und ihrer Nachbarn.

Bureau of American Ethnology, 73. Bulletin, Washington, D.C., Druckerei der US-Regierung, 1922.

Weiß, Georg. Historische Sammlungen von Georgia. New York: Rodney & Russell, 1854


Ocmulgee YTB-532 - Geschichte


Ratssitzung im Master Farmer Wintertempel. Museums-Diorama.


Tempelhügel und Landwirtschaft

Wir kommen nun zu der Periode der Ocmulgee-Geschichte, die am reichlichsten mit Fakten über die Ausgrabungen versorgt ist. Die Master Farmers, wie diese Leute in den Museumsausstellungen genannt wurden, waren Neulinge in Ocmulgee. Es kann sein, dass ihre Ankunft von den frühen Bauern, die in den letzten tausend Jahren Anspruch auf dieses Land erhoben hatten, sich stark widersetzten. Um 900 n. Chr. zogen sie in diese Gegend, wahrscheinlich aus nordwestlicher Richtung, und begannen, Dörfer mit einigen sehr neuartigen Merkmalen zu bauen.

Wir wissen nicht, wo diese Wanderung ihren Anfang nahm. Wir wissen jedoch, dass sich einige ihrer engsten Verwandten im Nordosten von Tennessee niederließen, und vielleicht spaltete sich die Ahnengruppe, als sie den Tennessee River hinauf reiste, an der abrupten Nordbiegung dieses Flusses im Norden Alabamas. Dann ließ sich eine nachfolgende Generation, die Zentralgeorgien zu ihrer Heimat machte, an zwei Orten in der Nähe des Ocmulgee-Flusses nieder. Das kleinere Dorf lag etwa 5 Meilen unterhalb der heutigen Stadt Macon auf einem Kalksteinrest, der als Brown's Mount bekannt ist und angrenzend an seine östliche Grenze.

Das wichtigste Unterscheidungsmerkmal dieser Menschen von ihren Vorgängern war jedoch nicht ihre Stadt, sondern ihre Lebensweise. Sie waren neben Tabak, Kürbis und Bohnen auch Bauern, sie bauten den Lebensstab der Neuen Welt, Mais, an. Diese Lebensweise ermöglichte es ihnen, sich lange genug und in ausreichender Zahl an einem Ort niederzulassen, um ein großes Dorf zu bilden, und den religiösen und zeremoniellen Komplex zu entwickeln, der sich in seinen zahlreichen charakteristischen Strukturen ausdrückte. Sie bauten es auf der hügeligen Anhöhe über dem Fluss, wo ihre quadratischen, strohgedeckten Häuser zwischen den vielen Gebäuden verstreut waren, die mit ihrer Form der Anbetung verbunden waren. Letztere bestanden aus rechteckigen Holzkonstruktionen, die wir Tempel nennen, und einer runden Kammer mit einem mit Lehm bedeckten Holzgerüst, das eine Form einer Erdhütte war. Aus unserer Kenntnis der späteren indischen Muster in diesem Gebiet glauben wir, dass diese die Sommer- bzw. Wintertempel des Stammes darstellten. Hier nahmen die erwachsenen Männer an religiösen Zeremonien teil und hielten ihre Stammesräte ab, und hier konnte der Häuptling in Einzelstreitigkeiten oder in Angelegenheiten, die für den ganzen Stamm von Bedeutung waren, entscheiden.


Das Foto im Originalhandbuch zeigte menschliche Überreste. Aus Respekt vor den Nachfahren der Menschen, die in Ocmulgee lebten, wird die Darstellung von menschlichen Überresten und Grabbeigaben in der Online-Ausgabe nicht gezeigt.
Ein Blockgrab und seine zentrale Lage können auf die Hauptbestattung in der ersten Phase des Grabhügels hinweisen. Die mit dem Gesicht nach unten gerichtete Position könnte daraus resultieren, dass die wieder zusammengesetzten Knochen zum Begräbnis in eine Haut oder Matte gewickelt wurden.


Das Foto im Originalhandbuch zeigte menschliche Überreste. Aus Respekt vor den Nachfahren der Menschen, die in Ocmulgee lebten, wird die Darstellung von menschlichen Überresten und Grabbeigaben in der Online-Ausgabe nicht gezeigt.
Massen von Muschelperlen müssen geschätzte Besitztümer vieler der früheren Würdenträger des Tempelhügels gewesen sein.

Vielleicht ist das einzige herausragende archäologische Merkmal, das bei den Ausgrabungen in Ocmulgee entdeckt wurde, der erhaltene Boden und die unteren Teile eines dieser Wintertempel. Die Überreste bestehen aus einem niedrigen Abschnitt einer Lehmwand, die einen kreisförmigen Bereich von etwa 42 Fuß Durchmesser umreißt. Am Fuß der Wand umgibt eine niedrige, etwa 15 cm hohe Lehmbank den Raum und ist in 47 Sitzplätze unterteilt, die durch eine niedrige Lehmrampe getrennt sind. Jeder Sitz hat an seiner Vorderkante ein flaches Becken, und drei solcher Becken markieren Sitze im hinteren Teil einer Lehmplattform, die den Rundgang der Bank gegenüber dem langen Eingangsgang unterbricht.

Diese Plattform auf der Westseite der Lodge, die sich von der Mauer fast bis zur versenkten zentralen Feuerstelle erstreckt, ist das bemerkenswerteste Merkmal von allen. Etwas höher als die Bank bildet es ein Adlerbildnis, das stark an eine Reihe solcher Bildnisse erinnert, die auf Kupferplatten geprägt sind, die Teil der Utensilien der südlichen Kultreligion sind, die in einem späteren Abschnitt beschrieben werden. Die Oberflächenmodellierung des sich verjüngenden Körperabschnitts mag einmal vorhanden gewesen sein, ist aber jetzt so stark ausgelöscht, dass nur eine Art Welleneffekt über den Schultern erkennbar ist. Nichtsdestotrotz ist dieses Merkmal auf mindestens zwei der erwähnten Platten vorhanden, eine vom Fundort Etowah in Nordgeorgien und die andere aus Zentral-Illinois. Darüber hinaus zeichnen sich diese beiden Figuren, die den gefleckten Adler darstellen, durch die gleiche, fast quadratische Form des Körpers und der Flügel aus, die sich nur geringfügig von der Basis zur Schulter hin verjüngen. Schließlich ist der Kopf des Plattformadlers fast vollständig mit einer deutlichen Darstellung des "gegabelten Auges" ausgefüllt, das auch, wenn auch in kleinerem Maßstab, auf den beiden fraglichen Figuren dargestellt ist und ein unverwechselbares Symbol des Südlichen Kultes ist. Der gesamte Prunksaal wurde auf der Grundlage von verbrannten Teilen des Originals rekonstruiert, die durch Ausgrabungen freigelegt wurden. Es bildet eines der Hauptexponate des Denkmals und stellt einen einzigartigen archäologischen Schatz dar.


Vierzehn Lehmstufen, die unter einem späteren Hügelbau begraben wurden, führten den Westhang des frühesten Grabhügels zu seinem Gipfel.

Zu den anderen freigelegten Strukturen gehörte eine kleine runde Hütte, die von Stangen umrahmt war und einen großen Kamin enthielt, der in keinem Verhältnis zur Größe des Gebäudes stand. Dies war offensichtlich eine Schwitzhütte, in der Dampf erzeugt wurde, indem Wasser auf erhitzte Steine ​​gegossen wurde, aber es ist nicht bekannt, ob diese übliche Form der Reinigung mit ihrer Religion zusammenhing oder nur ein sanitäres Merkmal des Dorflebens war. Am westlichen Rand des Dorfes wurden die Stammeshäuptlinge und religiösen Führer in großen Holzgräbern begraben, in denen ein bis sieben Leichen, möglicherweise die von Ehefrauen und Gefolgsleuten, mit Massen von Muschelperlen und anderen ihrem Rang angemessenen Ornamenten beigesetzt wurden. Über dem Ganzen wurde ein niedriger, abgeflachter Hügel mit 14 Lehmstufen errichtet, die zum Gipfel führten.


Keramik für den täglichen Gebrauch war schlicht, aber gut verarbeitet und in einer Vielzahl von ansprechenden Formen erhältlich. Durchmesser des Glases rechts, 14 Zoll.

Neben ihrem großen und blühenden religiösen Zentrum können wir viele Aspekte ihres täglichen Lebens rekonstruieren, in denen sich die Meisterbauern von ihren Vorgängern unterschieden. Dieser Unterschied wird in ihren Werkzeugen, Waffen und Haushaltsutensilien festgestellt. Diese haben überlebt, weil sie aus so haltbaren Materialien wie Stein und Keramik hergestellt wurden. Die vielen kleineren Geschossspitzen, die jetzt auftauchen, deuten darauf hin, dass Pfeil und Bogen zu dieser Zeit allgemein verwendet wurden. Größere Reichweite und Genauigkeit wurden als mögliche Gründe dafür genannt, diese Waffe anstelle des Speerwerfers und des Pfeils zu verwenden, die in den meisten Teilen der Welt dem Bogen vorausgingen. Vielleicht ebenso wichtig war eine Zunahme von Stammesunruhen und -streitigkeiten, die eine größere Menge relativ kleiner und leichter Raketen in den kurzen Gefechten der indischen Kriegsführung effektiver machten als zwei oder drei der sperrigeren Pfeile. In Bezug auf ihre andere Ausrüstung sind überraschend wenige Knochenwerkzeuge erhalten geblieben, aber dies mag an der häufigeren Verwendung von Rohrstock liegen, der für Messer, Ahlen und andere Werkzeuge sehr effektiv war, aber nicht so lange hielt wie Knochen. Es wurden auch Beweise gefunden, die zeigen, dass sie Korbwaren und eine einfache gezwirnte Gewebeart herstellten und verwendeten.

Die bei Ausgrabungen erhaltenen Keramiken wurden aufgrund der anerkannten Bedeutung dieser Zeitmarke für den Archäologen bereits eingehend untersucht. Hier finden wir einen der auffälligsten Unterschiede zwischen diesen Völkern aus dem Mississippi-Tal und den einheimischen Georgia-Stämmen, deren Töpferei sich seit einigen tausend Jahren oder länger auf sehr unterschiedliche Weise entwickelt hatte. Anstelle der vielen Formen der Oberflächenaufrauhung, die die Geschichte der letzteren prägten, werden nun glatte Oberflächen zur Regel. Krugformen haben abgerundete Böden, sind oft ebenso breit wie hoch oder breiter und neigen zu verengten Öffnungen. Eine gängige Form hat eine gerade abfallende Schulter, die sich ziemlich plötzlich von der abgerundeten Körperkontur des Topfes abwendet. Sein Gefälle kann ohne Veränderung zum Rand hin weitergehen, aber häufiger wird es wieder nach oben drehen, um eine leichte Lippe oder sogar einen kurzen Hals zu bilden. Diese stehen im Gegensatz zu den tiefen Krügen der vorhergehenden Periode, bei denen der Mund, ungeachtet der Hals- oder Randbehandlung, fast den größten Durchmesser erreicht und bei denen der Boden konoid ist, d. h., mindestens auf die Andeutung eines Punktes gerundet.


Die Tonfiguren, die oft die Ränder offener Schalen schmückten, repräsentierten alle möglichen Kreaturen, sowohl reale als auch imaginäre. Etwa ein Drittel der tatsächlichen Größe.

Natürlich stellten die Meisterbauern auch andere Arten von Keramik her. Einige waren offene Schalen, andere hatten einen geschwungenen Rand, der die Kurve des unteren Teils direkt unter dem Bauch anmutig wiederholte. Es gab auch tiefe, gerade Seitenkrüge mit extrem dicken Wänden und große flache Schalen mit einem Durchmesser von mehreren Fuß, die man Salzpfannen nannte, weil man glaubte, dass diese Art manchmal bei der Herstellung dieser Substanz verwendet wurde. Eigentlich waren sie wohl auch in späteren Zeiten der große Familiennapf. Abdrücke eines gezwirnten Stoffgewebes auf den äußeren Oberflächen des letzteren, einige Kordmarkierungen und grobe Kerben oder andere Behandlung der Seiten des ersteren waren während dieser Zeit Ausnahmen von der allgemeinen Regel glatter Oberflächen.


Bildnisflaschen waren normalerweise eine feinere Keramik und begleiteten im Allgemeinen Bestattungen. Das Loch in der menschlichen Figur befindet sich im Scheitel des Kopfes, während das Gesicht gemalt ist, der Körper rot und das Haar das natürliche Braun von Ton. Flaschendurchmesser 5-5/16 Zoll.

In place of surface decoration, however, we find another form of elaboration which is somewhat less common but equally distinctive. This is the attempt to depict some form, either natural or supernatural, in the body of the vessel or attached to it in some way as an independent figure. Small heads suggesting a fox or an owl or some night creature with big staring eyes grow out of the rim of a bowl and peer into it. The small handles which are fairly common on the straight-shouldered jars often have two little earlike knobs at the top and knobs and bosses with more or less modeling of the body of the pot are frequently used to represent gourds or squashes or some other vegetable which is not easy to identify. One curious style of jar has a neck which is closed at the top, something like a gourd, but has an opening about an inch in diameter below this on the side. Modeling at the top suggests ears, a style of hair arrangement, or some other human or animal feature that gives rise to the name, "blank-faced effigy bottle."

In time, other changes began to mark the village of the Master Farmers. The temples, built originally at ground level, were rebuilt occasionally and with the leveling of the old building to make way for the new the surrounding ground surface was raised at first into a small platform. Gradually this platform was increased in height and size until the mound at the south side of the village was some 300 feet broad at the base and almost 50 feet high. The other temple mounds grew in a similar fashion but were either started later or were less important and so never achieved as great a size. The earthlodges, too, were sometimes rebuilt and often on the same site but no attempt was made to increase their elevation. The funeral mound, however, followed the pattern of the others and in each new layer of the seven there were fresh burials of the village leaders, and on top of each a new wooden structure which may have been connected with the preparation of the dead for their final rites. In the later stages, too, the flat summit area was surrounded by an enclosure of wooden posts.


The structure atop the funeral mound may have been for preparing corpses for burial. From Museum exhibit.

At the northwest corner of the village lay a cultivated field which surrounded the site of one of the earlier temples. This was no ordinary field since most of these must have lain in the bottom land below the village. From its position, then, could we infer some sacred purpose, possibly to create an offering to the spirits, or by the power in its seed absorbed from the surroundings to increase the yield of the villagers' crops? In any case, the mounds for succeeding structures were gradually raised above it and by this act the rows were buried and thus preserved as conclusive proof of the advanced state of culture which the Master Farmers had achieved.


This series of cultivated rows buried beneath the fill of later mound construction confirms our belief that the temple mound builders lived mainly by farming.

The construction of all these mounds and earthlodges required a large amount of material as well as innumerable man-hours of labor. Two series of great linked pits, averaging about 7 feet deep and 18 by 40 feet in area, seem to indicate that the earth was obtained immediately outside the main village limits, for they have been traced around considerable portions of its north and south borders. They do not enclose the entire area occupied by the temple mounds, though, because at least three of these mounds lie outside their confines today others were destroyed in the construction of Fort Hawkins and the adjacent portions of East Macon a little farther to the north. It is not unlikely that the irregular ditches formed by these pits served also as a protection against raids on the village for otherwise, why would their course have outlined the village area so closely?

All the evidence, then, points to the existence here at Ocmulgee of a town of Indians who lived in a state of culture as advanced in some respects as any to be found north of Mexico. We see a prosperous community devoted chiefly to the yearly round of activities designed to cement its relationship with the powerful unseen forces on which its well-being depended. Not too much work was required with the abundant rainfall on this fertile soil to raise the principal food supply for an entire family. The men, like all later Indians, hunted to supply the meat for their diet but they had plenty of free time to devote to the construction and repair of the town's several temple buildings. Here they gathered at stated intervals to go through the time-honored ritual first taught to their fathers by the very spirits themselves, those spirits which gave man the fish and the game and finally the wonderful gift of the corn plant. All of these gifts and many more must be accepted with reverence and treated according to the rules established for their proper use otherwise the spirits would be offended, the game would disappear, and the fields would wither and die.


General view of excavations northeast of ceremonial earthlodge, showing portion of trench surrounding the village.

Of all the annual round of ceremonies the most important was that in honor of the deity whose gift of corn had the miraculous power to renew itself every year. The summer temple, then, was the scene of the year's biggest festival when the new crop was ripe. All the fires of the village were put out and after the men had fasted and purified themselves with the sacred drink, the new fire was lit and offered with the first of the new corn to the Master of Breath. With this act the sins of the past year were forgiven, and the town entered upon a new year with rejoicing. But ever so often the temple needed to be rebuilt, perhaps at the death of the chief priest, who may at the same time have been the chief of the town as well. This called for a mound to be built or the old one to be enlarged and raised higher as a mark of extra devotion and every man must have given his allotment of working days to complete the project, even if several years were required before it was finished. For the new mound was proof to the divine forces of how much their gifts had been appreciated, and a plea that their favor might continue and the town prosper. Also it was proof to all the surrounding tribes of the wealth and strength of the village which was able to erect and maintain these large structures and at the same time to live in plenty and defend itself from its enemies.


Ungrooved ax, or celt, of the temple mound builders

Much of this reconstruction depends heavily on our knowledge of the later tribes of the Southeast and on broader analogies as well. Archeological proof does not exist for much that we have inferred. Yet we know that what we find here could not have been built by villagers living at the level of bare subsistence. Economic surplus was essential, and we know the Indians had the corn with which to create it. Strong leadership was needed to carry such large projects to completion and with it there must have been a social and religious class system to organize the economic and priestly functions of such a community. The temple priests and their assistants and retainers would have formed a rather numerous class with high status in a society so clearly impressed with the importance of the physical expression of its religious ideas. Wealth and power may likewise have rested with a specialized warrior class which controlled the governing function of the group, or it may be that these were combined with the religious duties of the priestly class. Whatever the system employed, several hundred unusually important individuals given special burial in the Funeral Mound attest to the distinctions which existed. Class differences of this sort are the most common basis for a high degree of social and political control and Ocmulgee is a good example of the real attainments of some American Indians along these lines.

In spite of the relatively large amount of information we have about them, however, we know surprisingly little of the ultimate fate of the Master Farmers. We do know that these first bearers of an alien culture from the Mississippi Valley did not persist very long in the area in terms of its previous history. Within 200 years the busy village was deserted, only to be visited by an occasional traveling band descended from the Early Farmers who had lived on in nearby sections. We do not know even whether the last occupants left here in a body to settle elsewhere, whether they gradually died off, whether they were absorbed into the surrounding population, or whether they were finally exterminated by neighbors who had themselves developed large settled communities capable of effective military action. Other ideas came to Georgia from the Mississippi Valley, but Ocmulgee lay silent and was passed by. Only in the last chapter of Indian history in this State was the site again reoccupied for a brief time. Here at the end, to be described in our final chapter, we find the Creek Indians once more living among the haunts of their ancestors.


Ocmulgee River Corridor SRS

The National Park Service (NPS) is conducting a Special Resource Study of the Ocmulgee River Corridor between Macon and Hawkinsville, Georgia. The John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act of 2019 (Dingell Act) directed the Secretary of the Interior to complete the study, the purpose of which is to identify whether the Ocmulgee River Corridor meets specific criteria to be recommended for potential inclusion as a unit of the national park system.

The study area incorporates a corridor of approximately 50 river miles touching the Georgia counties of Bibb, Twiggs, Houston, Bleckley, and Pulaski. Major public land holdings in the area include Ocmulgee Mounds National Historical Park the Bond Swamp National Wildlife Refuge Robins Air Force Base and the Echeconnee Creek, Oaky Woods, and Ocmulgee State Wildlife Management Areas. There are also several public river landings. Much of the property in the study area is undeveloped, whether it is in private or public ownership.

The river corridor includes a rich human history, with archaeological resources dating from the Paleoindian Period through World War II. Particularly significant are extensive American Indian resources including Mississippian mound sites, and sites associated with Muscogee (Creek) heritage and history. The river corridor is comprised mostly of bottomland hardwood forest and swamp, with some upland forest in the terraces above the floodplain. Diverse wildlife in the area include black bears, white-tailed deer, wood ducks, alligators, wild turkey, and many species of waterfowl.

The 1998 National Parks Omnibus Management Act (54 United States Code 100507) established the process for identifying and authorizing studies of new national park units. A study area must meet four criteria to be recommended as an addition to the national park system. These criteria include: 1) national significance, 2) suitability, 3) feasibility, and 4) need for NPS management. The study process is linear, and each of the four criteria are evaluated sequentially. If the study finds that the river corridor does not meet one of the criteria, the study will not evaluate the subsequent criteria.

While the NPS is conducting the study, the designation of national park units is ultimately the purview of Congress and the President. The purpose of the study is solely to evaluate the area and report to Congress.

Currently, the NPS is synthesizing public comment on the study. More can be learned about the study process and the resources of the study by visiting the study's informational website (see the "Ocmulgee River Corridor Storymap" under the Links tab to the left).

The Dingell Act provides for a three-year time frame to complete the study. Once the report is received by Congress, it will be made available to the public.


Great Temple Mound

Built between 900 - 1100 AD, The Great Temple Mound originally had a dirt ramp that led to a prominent structure built on the top of the mound. Today, travel to the top of the Great Temple Mound for a great view of Downtown Macon.


National Park Getaway: Ocmulgee National Monument

The Earth Lodge is one of seven surviving earthen mounds originally built by the Mississippian culture more than 1,000 years ago.

In the heart of Georgia lies a place that has been settled for 17,000 years. Ocmulgee National Monument’s human history dates to the Paleo-Indian Period, and the area was occupied until the Muscogee (Creek) removal in 1826. Upon arrival at the Visitor Center, you will see over 2,000 artifacts on display, including a Clovis Point spear head dating to 10,000 BCE, earthen pottery made around 3,500 BCE, and European dishware from the 1700s CE.

Ocmulgee is home to the largest archeological dig in American history, with more than 3 million artifacts found by 800 Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers in the 1930s. Four different prehistoric cultures inhabited this area before European settlement in the late 1500s. One such group was the Mississippians, who constructed earth mounds for their elite members of society beginning around 900 CE. Their structures survive to this day, attracting visitors worldwide to the park.

Objects in the museum collection, including a Clovis point (left) and shell gorget (right), provide clues to ways of life representing 17,000 years of human history.

As you explore the park and cross the bridge leading toward the Earth Lodge, you will step back in time. The Earth Lodge floor is 1,000 years old and served as the council chamber used by the Mississippians for meetings and ceremonies. Try to imagine yourself sitting in one of the 50 seats discussing important issues of your day 1,000 years ago.

When you leave the Earth Lodge, you will walk toward the Great Temple Mound and across a railroad bridge to a large field. This area served as an ancient ball field where games like stickball and chunkey were played. Walk past the site of the British Trading Post that was occupied from 1690 to 1715, where the Muscogee (Creek) Indians traded animal skins for European goods such as bells, glass beads, and muskets.

The annual Ocmulgee Indian Celebration brings together craftsmen, dancers, storytellers, and living history demonstrators to celebrate and share their heritage with thousands of visitors.

When you arrive on top of the Great Temple Mound, you will see downtown Macon, Georgia, toward the southwest and hear the roar of cars from the interstate. However, imagine being on top of the mound 1000 years ago. What would you have seen? What would you have heard? A bustling village along the Ocmulgee River with a population of 2,000 people busily going about their day. The men would have been fishing, hunting, and building mounds while the women were making baskets, pottery, and growing crops. You would hear people talking, singing, and laughing as they went about their daily activities. Today only 7 mounds remain for visitors to experience the culture that once thrived here.

The park is self-guided, so visitors can walk or drive to the Great Temple Mound and explore 6 miles of nature trails. Many visitors prefer to visit in the spring and autumn when the humidity is low. During the third weekend in September the park hosts its annual Indian Celebration. During this most popular event of the year, over 200 American Indians share their history and culture with visitors.


Ocmulgee Bottoms in Recorded History

On March 3, 1540, the Hernando de Soto Expedition departed a Native town in the Florida Panhandle. 1 Contemporary scholars labeled the indigenous people in this region, the Apalachee. Actually, according to 17 th century ethnologist, Charles de Rochefort, they called themselves the Tula-halwase (Tallahassee) which means, “Offspring from Highland Towns.” 2 The real Apalache lived in northern Georgia. The Florida Apalachee began as a colony. One of their towns was named Apalache, so the Spanish gave that name to the whole province. This was a common practice by the Spanish. The coastal province of Guale named after a village of the same name on St. Catherines Island, GA. 3

When the expedition reached a river, De Soto ordered that they build a crude boat, which ferried the conquistadors, their horses and their swine to the other side. From there the expedition marched into the Chickasawhatchee Swamp, which was in the Province of Capachequi (Spanish) or Kvpeceke (Muskogee-Creek.) The word means “Wood Ash Lye People” and is still a Creek clan in Oklahoma. 4

From Capachequi, the Spaniards headed northward until they reached a major river, which is now presumed to be the Ocmulgee. 1 This was in the Province of Toasi (Offspring of Toa) With great difficulty, they ferried their men and animals across this river and entered the capital town of Toa. De Soto’s chroniclers described the town as being much better planned that Florida indigenous communities and also having more substantial architecture.

The expedition traveled northwestward along the Ocmulgee, passing through several small villages, until it arrived at a town, whose occupants had fled. 5 Meat was still cooking on a barbecoa. Continuing northward along the river they came to a large town on an island, which was the capital of the Province of Ichesi (Spanish), In Itsate Creek this could be interpreted as either Icesi oder Itsesi . Depending on the interpretation of the Europeanized word, the word could mean either “Children of Corn” or “Offspring of the Itza.” 6 The people in this town were friendly so De Soto ordered a cross hewn from wood and placed on the top of a mound in the center of the town.

French Huguenot Expeditions

In 1564 and 1565, Captain René de Laudonnière, commander of Fort Caroline, dispatched at least six expeditions to explore the interior Florida Française (Georgia). 7 Several went northwestward up the May River in search of mountains that were described by coastal natives as containing gold and silver. Several Frenchmen were in northern or central Georgia when Fort Caroline was massacred by the Spanish in September of 1565.

The indigenous people living immediately south of Lake Tama were described as the Onithea-koa or Onithea People. “Koa” is an Arawak and northern South American suffix for “people.” 8 Those living north of Lake Tama were described as the Maya-koa, or Maya People.

The reader should understand, however, the Maya Indians as a whole, never called themselves Maya. This ethnic name was derived from the name of a province on the northwest tip of the Yucatan Peninsula, named Maiam. The Castilian letter “y” is pronounced like an English “ē.” It is significant, however, that the Province of Maiam was established by initially illiterate Itza Maya invaders around 1000 AD. The original capital was Chichen Itza, but later became Maiapan. 9 Maiapan was still the capital in 1500.

Richard Brigstock Expedition

In 1653, Royalist Barbados was under siege by a fleet dispatched by the English Commonwealth. 29 Royalist Richard Brigstock led a small party to visit the European colony in the Kingdom of Apalache in Northern Georgia. 30 English Catholic, Edward Bland, had visited the same region in 1646, but no chronicles of his visit have yet been discovered. 31

Brigstock did not provide Charles de Rochefort with any eyewitness descriptions of the Ocmulgee Bottoms, but did relate what the High King of Apalache said about its history. The Paracusa of Apalache said that the original homeland of the Apalache was in the region around Lake Tama, i.e. Ocmulgee Bottoms. 32 He said that his people were attacked by the Kofitachete and they had to temporarily abandon the region. This might explain the sudden abandonment of the acropolis at Ocmulgee around 1150 AD. The Apalache called the Ocmulgee Bottoms, the Province of Amana. The Kofitachete had eventually agreed to settle east of Amana. This is probably the province of Cofita, mentioned in the De Soto Chronicles. Amana was re-settled by a different people, probably the Ichisi, but they recognized the Paracusa of Apalache as their High King.

Late 17 th century Carolina traders

Within a relatively short period after Carolina was colonized in 1670, traders made contact with the Native People living on the Ocmulgee River. Those living in the Ocmulgee Bottoms were called Ochesee (the Ichisi of De Soto.) Those living north of the Fall Line were called the Ocmulgee (Oka-mole-ke = Water Swirling People.) 33 The corridor south of Ocmulgee Bottoms, including the Forks of the Altamaha (confluence of the Ocmulgee and Oconee River) was the Province of Tama, occupied by a people called either the Tamate, Tamatli or the Tamale. These words are the various ways of saying Merchant People in Itza Maya, Nahuatl and Huastec. South of Tama was the lands of the Yamasee Confederacy.

In the late 17 th century, the Ocmulgee River was called by the Muskogee-Creek name, Auchesi-hachi, which means Ochesee River in English. 34 At that time, “creek” meant a slow moving river in English. It still does in England. So Carolinians began calling the Native villages on the Middle Ocmulgee, the Ochesee Creeks, eventually shortening the name to Creek Indians. However, that word did not appear until around 1738.

In 1690 a fortified trading post was built by the Carolinians on the former Great Plaza of the Ocmulgee acropolis. 35 This became a focal point for trading activities between the Ochesee Creeks and Carolina. The Native American slave trade was in its heyday. Muskogeans would bring captured Indians, who were allies of France or Spain to the fort, along with furs and deerskins. These would be traded for European manufactured goods, such as muskets, lead balls, cloth and cast iron cooking pots.

Smallpox Plague of 1696

A horrific smallpox plague swept through the Piedmont and mountains of Carolina in 1696. 36 During this era, all of present day northern Georgia and the portion of Georgia north of the Altamaha River were considered part of Carolina. North and South Carolina had not been created either. Death rates of 90% to almost 100% were experienced among some Carolina Piedmont tribes. It can be presumed that similar population losses were experience in northeastern and eastern Georgia. This bacteriological holocaust came on the heels of 30 years of Native American slave raids. The impact was to virtually depopulate the countryside. The Kingdom of Apalache in Northeast Georgia completely disappeared from the maps after 1701. Some Apalachee remained in what is now Gwinnett County. The Apalachee River, a tributary of the Oconee River, is named after them.

Queen Anne’s War (1701-1707)

Great Britain became involved in a war on the mainland of Europe, which spilled over into North America. Spain attempted to strike the first blow by sending a force of 800 Spanish soldiers and Native American mercenaries through Southwest Georgia. 37 The Spanish intended to destroy the trading post fort at Ochesee and then strike Charleston from its back door. The Apalachicola Creeks and Chickasaws in southwest Georgia hated the Spaniards. They set up a camp on the Flint River, making it look like they were asleep then hid out. The Spaniards were lured into attacking the empty camp. Most of the Spanish force was killed when the Apalachicola Creeks and Chickasaws came out of hiding and surrounded the Spaniards.

In 1704, Colonel James Moore traveled from Charleston to Fort Ochesee with 50 men and gathered together 1,000 Muskogean warriors for an invasion of northern Florida. 38 The force virtually exterminated the Apalachee Mission system. Some Apalache immediately joined the Creek-British force and helped fight the Spanish. However, at least 3,000 pro-Spanish Apalache were taken back in chains to Charleston and sold into slavery. Most of the Florida Apalachee slaves lived short brutal lives on Caribbean sugar plantations.

John Beresford Map (1715)

When tensions were increasing on the Southeast, a Carolina militia officer, John Beresford, prepared a sketch map of the Native American tribes and French forts in the Southeast. 39 It included an estimate of the number of men of military age in each tribe – or in the case of the proto-Creeks, each town. The population of Ocmulgee Bottoms was miniscule, compared to what it had been in earlier times. His estimate was as follows: Westo-15, Taskeke-60, Coweta-30, Sawake-20 and Attate-20. There is no mention on the map of either the Ochesee or the Ocmulgee bands. The region apparently was devastated by repeated plagues. This is the first map to mention a word similar to Cherokee. It showed 200 Charakey warriors in extreme NW South Carolina and 800 Charakey warriors in extreme northeast Tennessee. It is obvious that the Cherokees had nothing like the population of 30,000 now claimed by contemporary Cherokee tourist literature.

Yamasee War (1715-1717)

On the evening of April 24, 1715 four Carolina colonial representatives were tortured to death by their hosts at the Yamasee town of Pocotaligo. 40 Soon thereafter Yamasee armies swept through the Carolina Low Country, killing hundreds of men, women and children. Almost simultaneous the Ochesee Creeks attack to the trading post fort on the Macon Plateau, killed its occupants and burned the fort. Soon after that, a combined force of Catawba and Cherokee warriors massacred two South Carolina militia units sent to suppress them. However, the Ochesee Creeks hesitated to attack South Carolina until they were certain of the direction that the war was taking. Meanwhile, about 90 out of the 100 South Carolina Indian traders in the Southeast were killed.

In December of 1715, a delegation of “Creek” leaders was invited to the neutral Yuchi town of Tugaloo for a diplomatic conference. 41 All historical markers and Cherokee histories call Tugaloo a Cherokee town, but ALL maps of the early 1700s label it a Hogeloge (Yuchi) town. 42 It is not clear, who these “Creek” leaders were, because neither the word Creek Indian, nor the Creek Confederacy existed in 1715. In fact, 1715 is the first year that even the word Charakey is seen in a British document.

The version of events at Tugaloo most commonly seen in online media is that 12 “Creek” leaders were killed in an argument. 43 The Cherokees then switched from being enemies of South Carolina to allies. The Creek version of events was that 32 “Creek” leaders were killed in their sleep then the Cherokees swept through northeast Georgia capturing Creek lands. History does verify that 40 years later the Koweta Creeks executed 32 Cherokee chiefs then declared the Creek-Cherokee War over. 44

Because of the lost of leaders and the Cherokee switch to the British side, the Muskogeans in Georgia did not play a major role in the Yamasee War, and soon sued for peace again with South Carolina. 45 During the war, most of the Muskogean towns and village in eastern and central Georgia relocated to the Chattahoochee River. Those in western North Carolina relocated to southwest Georgia. By then the Cherokees had achieved “most favored” status and the Creeks would have secondary priority for access to munitions until Georgia was founded in 1733.

Colonel John Barnwell Map (1722)

1721 Barnwell Map of Southeast America. Used with permission of Yale University and People of One Fire.

This map was prepared after the King George I revoked the charter of the Carolina Proprietors and made South Carolina and North Carolina separate Crown colonies. On the map Barnwell renamed the May River, the Altamaha or King George River, to assert British claims to what is now southern Georgia. [See Barnwell map as part of this article.]

On his map Barnwell wrote that “The Ochesee Creeks deserted the Ocmulgee River and now live on the Chattahoochee River.” Still living in the Ocmulgee Bottoms were the Taskeke, Colima, Attate and Coweta Indians. Obviously, they were not considered Ochesee Creeks in 1722.

Founding of the Colony of Georgia (1733)

Relations between the British colonists and the Creek Indians were excellent from the start. While the Creeks always distrusted the South Carolinians, they considered the Georgians to be their closest allies and best friends. 46 Many of the conferences between the leaders of the young colony occurred either at Indian Springs, north of the Ocmulgee Bottoms or in the vicinity of the mounds of the ancient town site on the Macon Plateau.

The Ochesee Creeks on the Chattahoochee River no longer were dominant in what was now a full-fledged Creek Confederacy, except that it was called the Coweta Confederacy and Coweta was the word typically used for Creek Indian by both the British and the French. Oglethorpe founded the town of Augusta within Creek territory in order to dominate the Indian trade in the Southeast. It was considered an “Indian town” in which members of all tribes were free to walk around and socialize with the locals.

Visit by General James Edward Oglethorpe (1739)

Governor Oglethorpe traveled the trading path through the mounds and old cultivated fields at Ocmulgee on his way to Coweta which was then near present day Carrollton. Here he met Creek leaders. One of his Rangers wrote a short description of what is now Ocmulgee National Monument. 47

Map by Emmanuel Bowen (1747)

This was the first British produced map to show all of the territory that would eventually become the State of Georgia after the founding of the Colony of Georgia. [See map attached to this article.] It showed Ocmulgee Bottoms occupied by the Kaonita, Kowetas, Taskeke, Echete (Itsate), Colima and Attasees. The Echete (Itsate) were shown on the 1715 Beredford Map as occupying the northeast corner of Georgie. Apparently, most did not want to be part of the Cherokee Alliance. All but one of the Echete villages in NE Georgia disappeared from subsequent maps. The Cowetas were originally from Northeast Georgia and the section of the North Carolina Mountains, east of Franklin, NC. Perhaps these were some of the tribes invited to the conference at Tugaloo.

John Mitchell Map (1755)

This famous map only shows the Koweta and Echete still living in Ocmulgee Bottoms, but there may have been other villages that Mitchell was not aware of. He lived in England. 48

William Bartram (1774)

The famous map of North America published by John Mitchell in 1755 precisely notes the locations of Creek and Alabama villages on the Alabama and Chattahoochee River systems.

Bartram traveled on the Lower Creek Trading Path from Augusta through Ocmulgee Bottoms on his way to visit Tuckabatchee. 49 He recorded his visit in his journal, which later in his life, became his famous book.

“On the heights of these low grounds are yet visible monuments, or traces, of an ancient town, such as artificial mounts or terraces, squares and banks, encircling considerable areas. Their old fields and planting land extend up and down the river, fifteen or twenty miles from this site. If we are to give credit to the account the Creeks give of themselves, this place is remarkable for being the first town or settlement, when they sat down (as they term it) or established themselves, after their emigration from the west.”

First Treaty of Washington (1805)

After much pressure from Georgia officials and Thomas Jefferson, the Creek Confederacy ceded the remainder of their land between the Oconee and Ocmulgee Rivers. 50 The Creeks refused to give up the ruins of the ancient town in Ocmulgee Bottoms that the Creeks called Waka-te. The treaty excluded a 3 by 5 mile strip known as the Old Ocmulgee Fields Reserve.

The treaty allowed the United States to construct a road across the Creek Nation to the Alabama River now known as the Alabama Road. It also allowed both Creeks and white men to build facilities for public accommodations along this road. Much of this “Federal Road” follows the ancient Lower Creek Trading Path and eventually stretches from Washington, D.C. to New Orleans. The treaty also provided for a US Army fort to be built on the Reserve to guard the frontier along the Ocmulgee River. Almost immediately after the treaty was announced, real estate speculators and squatters occupied most of the Ocmulgee Reserve. 51 Most of the Ocmulgee Reserve was quickly and illegally subdivided.

Fort Hawkins (1806)

Fort Hawkins was constructed on a hill immediately north of some mounds in 1806. 52 It is now known that that this location was the site of a satellite village of the Ocmulgee Acropolis. Fort Hawkins was never assaulted, because most Georgia Creeks developed cultural ties with their white neighbors. Instead, it served as an administrative center for Federal activities in the lower Southeast. Fort Hawkins was used as a staging site for army units destined to combat the Red Stick Creeks in Alabama, during the War of 1812. For the entirety of its existence as a federal facility, it sat on land technically owned by the Creek Confederacy. The land was not offered back to the Creeks, when the fort was closed.

Treaty of Indian Springs (1825)

Mixed-heritage Creek leader, William McIntosh, along with a few close friends, who included two mixed-heritage sons of Federal Indian agent, Benjamin Hawkins, arranged to make a treaty with the State of Georgia that ceded all Creek lands in Georgia, including the Ocmulgee Reserve. 53 The Creek signers of the treaty put in provisions that gave them one square mile reserves, which they planned to subdivide. In addition they paid themselves for signing the treaty. The small group of signers did not have authority to sign any treaty and ironically broke a law that McIntosh had earlier voted for, which proscribed the death penalty for those illegally giving away Creek land.

Congress considered the treaty fraudulent and refused to ratify it. In the mean time there was chaos in Georgia as the state had gone ahead and surveyed out land lots. Squatters moved in while Creek families still lived on their farms. Many mixed-blood Creeks had opted to keep their lands and become citizens of the State of Georgia. Christian Creeks were banned from most Creek towns.

Treaty of Washington City (1827)

Members of the Creek National Council signed this legitimate treaty in Washington, DC, which ceded all Creek lands in Georgia. 54 It did not specifically mention the Ocmulgee Reserve, whose original legal description stated that it would be owned in perpetuity regardless of other future land cessions by the Creek Confederacy. However, the signers of the document, representing the United States and State of Georgia, assumed that the reserve no longer existed. Fort Hawkins had been abandoned in 1824, so the federal government had no need of the land.


Mark Andy Equipment

Mark Andy and our trusted portfolio of brands have set the standard in innovative technologies in the print industry. We have a legacy of building reliable, productive equipment designed to increase profitability. With a broad range of equipment, you can depend on us to have the solution for any printing and converting objective, supporting every application, every time.

Featured Products

Digital Series HD

A configurable production-class digital press pairing premium quality and high speeds for any label application need, now and into the future.

Performance Series

The Mark Andy Performance Series press line increases profitability for the simplest to most complex label applications.

Digital Plus Screen

A rail-mounted digital print bar that replaces conventional rotary screen units at half the operating cost.

Our Technologies

Flexographic Printing Solutions

Industry-leading flexographic presses

Digital Presses

The best of digital and flexo in a single machine

Press Upgrades

Retrofit solutions to enhance equipment

Pre-Owned Equipment

Used equipment certified by Mark Andy

Supplemental Equipment

Supporting solutions for production efficiency

Rotoflex Finishing Equipment

Inspection, rewind and finishing technology powered by Rotoflex

Offset Printing Presses

Presstek printing technologies for commercial print applications

Testimonials

Everything from start to finish was coordinated with Mark Andy. Both our team and Mark Andy’s were very methodical and did a great job. It was fantastic it was real teamwork – like we were one company.

- Great Lakes Label, Grand Rapids, Michigan Read More Testimonials

We have committed fully to Mark Andy because we see them as a no risk investment for the bulk of our business.

Flexo technology is perfect for our product portfolio here, and Mark Andy manufactures the best narrow web press for day to day production, in my opinion. We are very proud to work with them and grateful for their ongoing support.

We had a Mark Andy technician onsite throughout the entire installation and startup process, and the support hasn’t stopped there. The caliber of service has been amazing.

- Jeff Jaynes, Label Solutions Read More Testimonials

We value our partnership with Mark Andy and have truly experienced their total solutions offering. Their comprehensive understanding of and involvement with the entire printing workflow continues to impress us.

- Jan Greis, U.S. Tape and Label Read More Testimonials

The sales process was very satisfactory. From when we first requested a quote to the configuration consultancy to the demo at Mark Andy, all the way through the press build the organization was excellent.

- Juan Carlos Arroyave, Etipress Read More Testimonials

We haven’t had one plate lift incident. Plates even sat for a week before going back on press and still no lifting. Consider me switched to tesa thanks to Mark Andy Print Products expertise.

Mark Andy didn’t just sell us a press, they sold us a future.

- Neil Doniger, Nadco Tapes & Labels Read More Testimonials

We looked at four or five different manufacturers but chose Mark Andy because of their history and commitment to the label industry.

We have relied on Mark Andy flexo presses for years and felt they were the best company to understand the digital needs of a label converter.


Schau das Video: Ocmulgee National Monument -Macon, GA (Kann 2022).