Geschichte Podcasts

Breckinridge DD-148 - Geschichte

Breckinridge DD-148 - Geschichte


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Breckinridge

(DD-148: dp. 1154; 1. 314'5"; T. 31'8"; dr. 9'; s. 35.2 k.;
kpl. 122; A. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Dochte)

Breckinridge (DD-148) wurde am 17. August 1918 von William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co', Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, vom Stapel gelassen; gesponsert von Miss Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, einer Nichte von Fähnrich Breckinridge, und in Auftrag gegeben 27. Februar 1919, Commander A. L. Bristol im Kommando.

Breckinridge schloss sich der Destroyer Force der Atlantikflotte an, die vor Guantanamo Bay auf Kuba operiert. Sie wurde entlang der Ostküste hauptsächlich in der Entwicklung und Erprobung von Sonargeräten eingesetzt, bis sie am 30. Juni 1922 in Philadelphia als Reserve in Dienst gestellt wurde 1932. Sie segelte in den Pazifik, wo sie mit der Scouting Force von Alaska nach Pearl Harbor diente. Im Mai 1936 wurde sie dem Ausbildungsgeschwader 10 zugeteilt und operierte entlang der Ostküste und in kubanischen Gewässern, bis sie im September 1936 außer Dienst gestellt wurde. Nach drei Jahren außer Dienst in Philadelphia wurde sie im September 1939 wieder in Dienst gestellt und diente bei der Division 66, Atlantic Squadron, auf der Neutrality Patrol. Im Dezember 1940 wurde sie der Inshore Patrol Station, CZ, nach Mai 1941 Breckinridge.ge . zugeteilt war in Key West, Florida, stationiert und patrouillierte und führte Unterwasserexperimente und geplante Übungen durch.

Breckinridge operierte unter Commander, Caribbean Sea Frontier, auf Patrouille und Eskorte bis Dezember 1943, als sie den Atlantikfüßen zugewiesen wurde. Sie schloss sich TG 21.13, einer Jäger-Killer-Gruppe, am 14. Januar 1944 für mittelatlantische U-Boot-Abwehrflüge an. Nach einer ereignislosen Operation am 27. Februar nach Norfolk zurückkehrend, wurde TG 21.13 aufgelöst und Breckinridge fuhr zur Überholung nach Boston. Am 22. März 1944 kehrte sie nach Norfolk zurück und meldete sich bei TF 6Fo, um einen Konvoi über den Atlantik zu begleiten. Am 24. März 1944 erreichte der Konvoi das Mittelmeer ohne Einmischung. In der Nacht vom 11. auf den 12. April griffen jedoch zahlreiche deutsche Flugzeuge den Konvoi an und fügten Holder . Schaden zu

Breckinridge kehrte am 11. Mai 1944 nach Boston zurück. Am 27. Mai meldete sie sich zum Commander, Caribbean Sea Frontier, und operierte in der Nähe von Guantanamo Bny, Kuba, bis sie am 7. Februar 1945 ihren Dienst bei der Atlantikflotte zurückkehrte. Nach einer Überholung im Boston Navy Yard zwischen dem 10. Februar und dem 31. März nahm sie als Flaggschiff der Destroyer Division 54 den Betrieb in New London, Conn, auf.

Am 30. Juni 104.5 wurde Breckinridge in eine sonstige Hilfs-AG 112 umklassifiziert. Nach einer kurzen Umbauphase im New York Navy Yard Annex, Bayonne, N. J. segelte sie in Richtung Pazifik und erreichte am 21. August San Diego. Am 24. August meldete sie sich beim Kommandanten der Carrier Division 12 zum Dienst als Flugzeugwach- und Begleitschiff. Breckinridge operierte in dieser Funktion bis zur Außerdienststellung am 30. November 1945. Sie wurde am 31. Oktober 1946 verkauft.

Breckinridge erhielt einen Kampfstern für ihren Dienst im Zweiten Weltkrieg.


Breckinridge DD-148 - Geschichte

(DD-148: dp. 1154 1. 314'5" b. 31'8" dr. 9' s. 35.2 k. kpl. 122 a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT. cl. Wickes )

Breckinridge (DD-148) wurde am 17. August 1918 von William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co', Philadelphia, Pennsylvania ins Leben gerufen, gesponsert von Miss Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, einer Nichte von Ensign Breckinridge, und am 27. Februar 1919, Commander AL Bristol in . in Auftrag gegeben Befehl.

Breckinridge schloss sich der Destroyer Force der Atlantikflotte an, die vor Guantanamo Bay auf Kuba operiert. Sie wurde entlang der Ostküste hauptsächlich in der Entwicklung und Erprobung von Sonargeräten eingesetzt, bis sie am 30. Juni 1922 in Philadelphia als Reserve in Dienst gestellt wurde 1932. Sie segelte in den Pazifik, wo sie mit der Scouting Force von Alaska nach Pearl Harbor diente. Im Mai 1936 wurde sie dem Ausbildungsgeschwader 10 zugeteilt und operierte entlang der Ostküste und in kubanischen Gewässern, bis sie im September 1936 außer Dienst gestellt wurde. Nach drei Jahren außer Dienst in Philadelphia wurde sie im September 1939 wieder in Dienst gestellt und diente bei der Division 66, Atlantic Squadron, auf der Neutrality Patrol. Im Dezember 1940 wurde sie der Inshore Patrol Station, CZ, zugewiesen in Key West, Florida, Patrouillen und Durchführung von Unterwasserexperimenten und geplanten Übungen.

Breckinridge operierte unter Commander, Caribbean Sea Frontier, auf Patrouille und Eskorte bis Dezember 1943, als sie den Atlantikfüßen zugewiesen wurde. Sie schloss sich TG 21.13, einer Jäger-Killer-Gruppe, am 14. Januar 1944 für mittelatlantische U-Boot-Abwehrflüge an. Nach einer ereignislosen Operation am 27. Februar nach Norfolk zurückkehrend, wurde TG 21.13 aufgelöst und Breckinridge ging zur Überholung nach Boston. Am 22. März 1944 kehrte sie nach Norfolk zurück und meldete sich bei TF 6, um einen Konvoi über den Atlantik zu begleiten. Am 24. März 1944 erreichte der Konvoi ohne Einmischung das Mittelmeer. In der Nacht vom 11. auf den 12. April griffen jedoch zahlreiche deutsche Flugzeuge den Konvoi an und fügten Holder . Schaden zu

Breckinridge kehrte am 11. Mai 1944 nach Boston zurück. Am 27. Mai meldete sie sich zum Commander, Caribbean Sea Frontier, und operierte in der Nähe von Guantanamo Bay, Kuba, bis sie am 7. Februar 1945 ihren Dienst bei der Atlantikflotte zurückkehrte. Nach einer Überholung im Boston Navy Yard zwischen dem 10. Februar und dem 31. März nahm sie als Flaggschiff der Destroyer Division 54 den Betrieb in New London, Conn, auf.

Am 30. Juni 104.5 wurde Breckinridge in eine sonstige Hilfs-AG 112 umklassifiziert. Nach einer kurzen Umbauphase im New York Navy Yard Annex, Bayonne, N. J. segelte sie in Richtung Pazifik und erreichte am 21. August San Diego. Am 24. August meldete sie sich beim Kommandanten der Carrier Division 12 zum Dienst als Flugzeugwach- und Begleitschiff. Breckinridge operierte in dieser Funktion bis zur Außerdienststellung am 30. November 1945. Sie wurde am 31. Oktober 1946 verkauft.


USS Breckinridge DD-148

Fordern Sie ein KOSTENLOSES Paket an und erhalten Sie über Nacht die besten Informationen und Ressourcen zum Mesotheliom.

Alle Inhalte sind urheberrechtlich geschützt 2021 | Über uns

Anwalt Werbung. Diese Website wird von Seeger Weiss LLP mit Niederlassungen in New York, New Jersey und Philadelphia gesponsert. Die Hauptadresse und Telefonnummer der Kanzlei lautet 55 Challenger Road, Ridgefield Park, New Jersey, (973) 639-9100. Die Informationen auf dieser Website dienen nur zu Informationszwecken und sind nicht dazu bestimmt, eine spezifische rechtliche oder medizinische Beratung zu erteilen. Brechen Sie die Einnahme eines verschriebenen Medikaments nicht ohne vorherige Rücksprache mit Ihrem Arzt ab. Das Absetzen eines verschriebenen Medikaments ohne den Rat Ihres Arztes kann zu Verletzungen oder zum Tod führen. Frühere Ergebnisse von Seeger Weiss LLP oder seinen Anwälten garantieren oder sagen kein ähnliches Ergebnis in Bezug auf zukünftige Angelegenheiten voraus. Wenn Sie ein rechtmäßiger Urheberrechtsinhaber sind und glauben, dass eine Seite dieser Website außerhalb der Grenzen des "Fair Use" liegt und das Urheberrecht Ihres Kunden verletzt, können Sie uns bezüglich Urheberrechtsangelegenheiten unter [email protected] kontaktieren.


Was sind die Mersman Table-Modellnummern?

Mersman-Tische werden durch die vierstelligen Nummern auf der Unterseite der Tischplatte identifiziert. Mersman war über ein Jahrhundert lang ein beliebter Möbelhersteller. Im Laufe der Jahre wurden Millionen von Tischen und anderen Gegenständen hergestellt.

Das Unternehmen begann im 19. Jahrhundert als Sägewerk mit mehreren Mühlen in Indiana. J. B. Mersman begann etwa 1876 mit der Herstellung von Tischen unter dem Namen Mersman, nachdem er sein Geschäft nach Ohio verlegt hatte. Später expandierte das Unternehmen auf die Herstellung von Betten und Bettteilen. Sein Geschäft war so erfolgreich, dass Celina, Ohio, ihm Geld anbot, um dort eine Fabrik zu gründen. Bald erweiterte er seine Produktlinie um Ess- und Bibliothekstische.

Einer der Mersman-Bestseller in den 1920er Jahren hieß "Davenport", der als Sofatisch bekannt ist. Das Unternehmen listete 1928 139 Arten von Sofatischen auf, zu Preisen, die damals als teuer galten.

Zu seinen weiteren Produkten gehörten Gateleg-Tische, Radio-Tischschränke, Bibliothekstische und einige der ersten Couchtische.

Die Tische wurden mit Beinen aus Gummibaumholz hergestellt und die Platten wurden in verschiedenen Ausführungen furniert, darunter Palisander, Vogelaugenahorn, Ebenholz, russische Eiche, braunes Mahagoni und Blasenahorn.


Josephs Klassenkameraden stellten ihm zu Ehren in der Gedächtnishalle eine Gedenktafel auf. Es lautet teilweise: "Sowohl sicher als auch standhaft."

Das "Register of Commissioned and Warrant Officers of the United States Navy and Marine Corps" wurde jährlich von 1815 bis mindestens in die 1970er Jahre veröffentlicht nicht mehr enthalten. Gescannte Kopien wurden von Mitte der 1840er bis 1922 überprüft und Daten eingegeben, als häufigere Navy-Verzeichnisse verfügbar waren.

Das Navy Directory war eine Veröffentlichung, die Informationen über das Kommando, das Quartier und den Rang jedes aktiven und pensionierten Marineoffiziers lieferte. Einzelne Ausgaben wurden von Januar 1915 und März 1918 online gefunden, und dann von drei bis sechs Ausgaben pro Jahr von 1923 bis 1940, die letzte Ausgabe ist vom April 1941.

Die Einträge in beiden Dokumentenserien sind manchmal kryptisch und verwirrend. Sie sind oft inkonsistent, selbst innerhalb einer Ausgabe, mit den Namen von Befehlen, dies gilt insbesondere für Fliegerstaffeln in den 1920er und frühen 1930er Jahren.

Alumni, die im selben Kommando aufgeführt sind, haben möglicherweise bedeutende Interaktionen gehabt oder auch nicht, sie hätten sich eine Kabine oder einen Arbeitsplatz teilen können, viele Stunden zusammen Wache stehen … oder, insbesondere bei den größeren Kommandos, können sich überhaupt nicht gekannt haben. Die Informationen bieten jedoch die Möglichkeit, ansonsten unsichtbare Verbindungen zu ziehen und geben einen umfassenderen Einblick in die beruflichen Erfahrungen dieser Alumni in der Memorial Hall.


Der Transport machte vier weitere Reisen nach Frankreich, um Truppen nach Hause zu bringen, wurde dann in den Pazifik verlegt und kam im Januar 1946 in San Francisco an. Eine Marinebesatzung ersetzte dort im Februar ihre Küstenwache, wahrscheinlich nachdem sie als eines von sechs Schiffen ausgewählt wurde ihrer Klasse in der Nachkriegsflotte beibehalten werden. Nach fünf transpazifischen Reisen zwischen Oktober 1946 und Januar 1947 General J. C. Breckinridge wurde dann in Philadelphia für eine Beschäftigung in Friedenszeiten umgewandelt, mit speziellen Einrichtungen für Militärangehörige. Sie behielt ihre Bewaffnung, verlor aber einige ihrer Rettungsboote. Breckinridge Dann kehrte sie in den Pazifik zurück, wo sie einen vollen Reiseplan zwischen der Westküste der Vereinigten Staaten und zahlreichen Punkten im Westpazifik unterhielt.

Im Oktober 1949 wurden alle Schiffe des Naval Transportation Service dem neu geschaffenen Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) zugeteilt. Als dem MSTS operativ unterstelltes Schiff wurde sie in T-AP-176 umbenannt, aber da sie ein in Auftrag gegebenes Schiff mit einer nicht zivilen Besatzung der Marine war, General J. C. Breckinridge behielt die Bezeichnung "USS" bei, anstatt "USNS" zu werden.


Breckinridge c đặt lườn vào ngày 11 tháng 3 năm 1918 tại xưởng tàu của hãng William Cramp & Sons Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Nó được hạ thủy vào ngày 17 tháng 8 năm 1918, được đỡ đầu bởi cô Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, cháu gái Thiếu úy Breckinridge, và được đưa ra hoạt nd n ngn n ng n n ng Hải quân Arthur L. Bristol.

Breckinridge gia nhập Lực lượng Khu trục trực thuộc Hạm đội Đại Tây Dương, hoạt động ngoài khơi vịnh Guantánamo, Kuba. Nó được bố trí dọc theo bờ Đông Hoa Kỳ chủ yếu trong nhiệm vụ phát triển và thử nghiệm các thiết bị sonar cho đến khi được cho xuất biên ch n chế 19

Breckinridge được cho nhập biên chế trở lại vào tháng 5 năm 1930, và phục vụ cùng Lực lượng Tuần tiễu trực thuộc Hạm đội Hoa Kỳ dọc theo bờ Đông huốó phục vụ cùng Lực lượng Tuần tiễu tại khu vực nach Alaska in Trân Châu Cảng. n tháng 5 năm 1936, nó được điều động sang Hải đội Huấn luyện 10 và hoạt động dọc theo bờ Đông và vùng biển Kuba cho đến tháng 9 năm bcề lạ khi n

Breckinridge được cho nhập biên chế trở lại vào tháng 5 năm 1930, và phục vụ cùng Lực lượng Tuần tiễu trực thuộc Hạm đội Hoa Kỳ dọc theo bờ Đông huốó phục vụ cùng Lực lượng Tuần tiễu tại khu vực nach Alaska in Trân Châu Cảng. Đến tháng 5 năm 1936, nó được điều động sang Hải đội Huấn luyện 10 và hoạt động dọc theo bờ Đông và vùng biển Kuba cho đến tháng 9 năm bcề lạ khi n

Sau ba năm bị bỏ không tại Philadelphia, Breckinridge được cho nhập biên chế trở lại vào tháng 9 năm 1939 và phục vụ cùng Đội 66 thuộc Hải đội Đại Tây Dương trong nhiệm vụ Tuần tra Trung lập. n tháng 12 năm 1940, nó được điều sang Trạm Tuần tra Nội địa tại Vùng kênh đào Panama, và sang tháng 5 năm 1941 nó đặt căn cứ tại tuướn và thực tập.

Breckinridge hoạt động trực thuộc Tư lệnh Duyên hải Tiền phương Caribe trong nhiệm vụ tuần tra và hộ tống cho đến tháng 12 năm 1943, khi nó được điều về Hạmây Nó gia nhập Đội đặc nhiệm 21.13, một đội tìm diệt, vào ngày 14 tháng 1 năm 1944 cho các hoạt động càn quét chống tàu ngần giữa Đại Tây Quay trở về Norfolk vào ngày 27 tháng 2 sau một đợt hoạt động an bình, Đội đặc nhiệm 21.13 được giải tán và chiếc tàu khu trục đi in Boston, Massachusetts để đại Vào ngày 22 tháng 3, nó Kai trở lại Norfolk gia nhập Lực lượng Đặc nhiệm 6 để hộ tống một đoàn tàu vận tải vượt Đại Tây Dương. Khởi hành vào ngày 24 tháng 3, đoàn tàu đi n Địa Trung Hải mà không bị ngăn trở. Tuy nhiên, trong đêm 11 tháng 4/11/12 tháng 4, nhiều máy bay Đức đã tấn công đoàn tàu, gây hư hại cho tàu khu trục hộ tống Halter.

Breckinridge Kai trở về Boston vào ngày 11 tháng 5 năm 1944. Đến ngày 27 tháng 5, nó trình diện để phục vụ cùng Tư lệnh Duyên hải Tiền phương Caribe, và hoạt ng ng ng ng n năm 1945, khi nó kai trở lại hoạt động cùng Hạm đội i Tây Dương. Sau khi trải qua đợt đại tu tại Xưởng hải quân Boston từ ngày 10 tháng 2 đến ngày 31 tháng 3, nó tiến hành các hoạt động tại New London, Connecticut như kà cá tr

Vào ngày 30 tháng 6 năm 1945, Breckinridge được xếp lại lớp như một tàu phụ trợ với ký hiệu lườn AG-112. Sau một thời gian cải biến tại chi nhánh của Xưởng hải quân New York ở Bayonne, New Jersey, nó lên đường đi sang Thái Bình Dương, đi đến San Diego, Kalifornien vào ngày 21. lệnh Đội tàu sân bay 12 vào ngày 24 tháng 8, làm nhiệm vụ canh phòng máy bay và hộ tống. Nó phục vụ trong vai trò này cho đến khi được cho ngừng hoạt động vào ngày 30 tháng 11 năm 1945, và bị bán để tháo dỡ vào ngày 31 tháng 10 năm 1946.

Breckinridge c tặng thưởng một Ngôi sao Chiến trận tun thành tích phục vụ trong Thế Chiến II.


Geschichte [Bearbeiten]

Breckinridge wurde am 17. August 1918 von der William Cramp & Sons Ship and Engine Building Company, Philadelphia, ins Leben gerufen, gesponsert von Miss Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, einer Nichte von Ensign Breckinridge. Das Schiff wurde am 27. Februar 1919 unter dem Kommando von Commander Arthur L. Bristol in Dienst gestellt.

Breckinridge schloss sich der Destroyer Force der Atlantikflotte an, die vor Guantanamo Bay auf Kuba operiert. Sie wurde entlang der Ostküste hauptsächlich in der Entwicklung und Erprobung von Sonargeräten eingesetzt, bis sie am 30. Juni 1922 in Philadelphia als Reserve außer Dienst gestellt wurde. Im Mai 1930 wieder in Dienst gestellt, Breckinridge diente mit der Scouting Force United States Fleet, entlang der Ostküste bis Ende 1932. Sie segelte für den Pazifik, wo sie mit der Scouting Force von Alaska nach Pearl Harbor diente. Im Mai 1936 wurde sie dem Ausbildungsgeschwader 10 zugeteilt und operierte entlang der Ostküste und in kubanischen Gewässern, bis sie im September 1936 außer Dienst gestellt wurde. Nach drei Jahren außer Dienst in Philadelphia wurde sie im September 1939 wieder in Dienst gestellt und diente bei der Division 66, Atlantic Squadron, auf der Neutrality Patrol. Im Dezember 1940 wurde sie der Inshore Patrol Station in der Panamakanalzone zugeteilt. Nach Mai 1941 Breckinridge war in Key West, Florida, stationiert und patrouillierte und führte Unterwasserexperimente und geplante Übungen durch.

Breckinridge operierte unter Commander, Caribbean Sea Frontier, auf Patrouille und Eskorte bis Dezember 1943, als sie der Atlantikflotte zugeteilt wurde. Sie schloss sich am 14. Januar 1944 TG㺕.13, einer Jäger-Killer-Gruppe, für U-Boot-Abwehrflüge im Mittelatlantik an. Nach einer ereignislosen Operation nach Norfolk zurückgekehrt, wurde TG㺕.13 aufgelöst und Breckinridge ging zur Überholung nach Boston. Am 22. März 1944 kehrte sie nach Norfolk zurück und meldete sich bei TFن, um einen Konvoi über den Atlantik zu begleiten. Der Konvoi erreichte am 24. März 1944 das Mittelmeer ohne Einmischung. In der Nacht vom 11. auf den 12. April griffen jedoch zahlreiche deutsche Flugzeuge den Konvoi an und verursachten Schäden an Halter.

Breckinridge kehrte am 11. Mai 1944 nach Boston zurück. Am 27. Mai meldete sie sich zum Dienst beim Commander, Caribbean Sea Frontier und operierte in der Nähe von Guantanamo Bay, Kuba, bis sie am 7. Februar 1945 ihren Dienst bei der Atlantikflotte zurückkehrte. Nachdem sie zwischen dem 10. Februar und dem 31. März bei Boston Navy Yard überholt worden war, nahm sie als Flaggschiff der Destroyer Division 54 den Betrieb in New London, Connecticut, auf.


John Brown&aposs Fort

Brown’s Männer waren in der Lage, mehrere lokale Sklavenhalter zu fangen, aber am Ende des Tages des 16. begannen die lokalen Städter, sich zu wehren. Früh am nächsten Morgen stellten sie eine lokale Miliz auf, die eine Brücke über den Potomac River eroberte und damit effektiv einen wichtigen Fluchtweg für Brown und seine Landsleute absperrte.

Obwohl Brown und seine Männer am Morgen des 17. die Waffenkammer der Harpers Ferry einnehmen konnten, hatte die örtliche Miliz die Anlage bald umzingelt, und die beiden Seiten tauschten Schüsse.

Auf beiden Seiten gab es Opfer, wobei vier Bürger von Harpers Ferry getötet wurden, darunter der Bürgermeister der Stadt. Eine Miliz aus Männern der Baltimore & Ohio Railroad traf in der Stadt ein und unterstützte die Anwohner bei der Abwehr von Browns Angriff.

Brown war gezwungen, seine verbleibenden Männer und ihre Gefangenen in das Maschinenhaus der Waffenkammer zu verlegen, ein kleineres Gebäude, das später als John Browns Fort bekannt wurde. Sie haben sich im Inneren effektiv verbarrikadiert.

Der Milizangriff konnte mehrere Gefangene Browns befreien, obwohl acht der Eisenbahner bei den Kämpfen starben. Ohne Fluchtweg und unter schwerem Beschuss schickte Brown seinen Sohn Watson aus, um sich zu ergeben. Der jüngere Brown wurde jedoch von der Miliz erschossen und tödlich verwundet.


Bemerkenswerte Leute

Der Lexington Cemetery spiegelt die sozialen und wirtschaftlichen Veränderungen wider, die in Lexington-Fayette County stattgefunden haben. In seinen Toren liegen Menschen unterschiedlicher politischer, wirtschaftlicher und sozialer Stellung, Rasse und Religion. Im Folgenden sind die Namen vieler Personen aufgeführt, die herausragende Beiträge zur Verbesserung ihrer Gemeinschaft geleistet haben.

Klicken Sie auf die Namen, um mehr über die vielen bemerkenswerten Personen zu erfahren, die auf dem Lexington Cemetery beigesetzt wurden.

Alford, Mitchell Cary (1855-1914)

Alford, Mitchell Cary (1855-1914)
Abschnitt H, Los 44
Als Absolvent der Law School der Kentucky University (heute Transylvania University) im Jahr 1880 war Mitchell Cary Alford als Master Commissioner, Richter des Recorder’s Court und State Senator tätig, bevor er zum Vizegouverneur in der Verwaltung des ersten Gouverneurs John Young Brown gewählt wurde . Er war viele Jahre Schatzmeister des Phoenix Hotels.

Allen, James Lane (1849-1925)

Allen, James Lane (1849-1925)
Abschnitt D, Los 91
James Lane Allen, ein renommierter Schriftsteller des 19. Jahrhunderts, unterrichtete nach seinem Abschluss an der Transsilvanien-Universität und bevor er Autor wurde, mehrere Jahre lang die Schule. Allen zog nach New York, wo er sich ganz dem Schreiben seiner Geschichten widmete, die auf tatsächlichen Ereignissen basierten. Sein bekanntestes Werk war Flute and Violin and Other Kentucky Tales and Romances, das 1891 veröffentlicht wurde. In diesem Buch war die Geschichte „König Solomon von Kentucky“. Allen vermachte der Jugend von Lexington einen Brunnen, der im Gratz Park aufgestellt und 1933 eingeweiht wurde

Barlow, Milton (1818-1891)

Barlow, Milton (1818-1891)
Abschnitt G, Los 34
In Zusammenarbeit mit seinem Vater Thomas erfand und baute Milton Barlow das erste Planetarium in der Silberschmiede von Milton. Ursprünglich wollte Thomas nur die Bewegungen der Planeten für seine Enkel veranschaulichen, aber der Prozess wurde zu einer dreijährigen Anstrengung des sorgfältigen Ineinandergreifens von Zahnrädern, um die winzigen Bruchteilumdrehungen der Planeten zu erzeugen. 1844 verkauften Vater und Sohn ihr Planetarium an das Girard College. Sie bauten zehn Jahre lang Planetarien, verkauften sie für jeweils 2.000 US-Dollar und stellten eines auf der New Yorker Weltausstellung 1851 aus. Auf Miltons Grabstein sind die zwei größten Erfinder von “Kentucky” zu lesen.

Bart, Joseph (1812-1858)

Bart, Joseph (1812-1858)
Abschnitt F, Los 12
Als Stadtmarschall von Lexington im Jahr 1858 starb Joseph Beard im Dienst, als er von William Barker, einem Mann, den er wegen Schlägereien mitten in der Stadt festnahm, erstochen wurde. Als Barker eingesperrt wurde, versammelten sich die Stadtbewohner wütend draußen und riefen: „Hängt ihn auf, hängt ihn auf.“ Der Mob brach in das Gefängnis ein und zerrte Barker zum Gerichtsgebäude auf der anderen Straßenseite. Ein Balken wurde durch ein Fenster im zweiten Stock gelegt, an dem eine Schlinge befestigt war. Baker wurde gezwungen, am Fenster zu stehen, während ihm die Schlinge über den Kopf gelegt wurde, dann wurde er aus dem Fenster gestoßen. Das Seil riss und Barker stürzte kopfüber auf den darunter liegenden Steinweg. Die wütende Menge zwang ihn wieder hoch und zum Fenster, wo er bis zum Tod gehängt wurde. William Barker wurde kurzerhand in einem Töpferfeld begraben.
Marshal Beard wurde mit einer großen Zeremonie auf dem Lexington Cemetery beigesetzt. Sein Denkmal lautet: “A Opfer von Gewalt während der Erfüllung seiner Pflicht als Marschall der Stadt Lexington.

Beauchamp, Frances E. (1857-1923)

Beauchamp, Frances E. (1857-1923)
Abschnitt I-1, Los 67
Frances E. Beauchamp, die Ehefrau einer Anwältin in Lexington, war eine staatliche und nationale Kreuzfahrerin für Mäßigung, Verbot und das Frauenwahlrecht sowie eine Verfechterin der Gefängnisreform. Beauchamp war einer der Gründer der Hidman Settlement School.

Beck, James Burnie (1822-1890)

Beck, James Burnie (1822-1890)
Abschnitt K, Los 9
Nachdem James Burnie Beck 1838 von Schottland nach Amerika und 1843 nach Lexington gezogen war, machte er seinen Abschluss an der Transylvania University und begann, als Anwalt zu praktizieren. Von 1867 bis 1875 war er demokratisches Mitglied des US-Repräsentantenhauses und von 1877 bis 1890 im Senat. 1848 heiratete er Jane Thronton, eine Stieftochter des Gouverneurs von Kentucky James Clark.

Breckinridge, Oberst William Cabell Preston (1837-1904)

Breckinridge, Oberst William Cabell Preston (1837-1904)
Abschnitt O, Los 126
Er war Rechtsanwalt, Soldat, Redakteur und Staatsmann, bekannt als der "silberzüngige Redner von Kentucky". Es war sechs Wochen lang landesweit auf den Titelseiten. Das Gericht sprach Pollard 15.000 US-Dollar Schadenersatz zu, dann kündigte Colonel Breckinridge unmittelbar danach seine Kandidatur für eine sechste Amtszeit in Folge im Kongress an.

Die Suffragetten waren erregt und stellten sich öffentlich gegen ihn. Die National Christian League for the Promotion of Social Purity schickte aus Protest einen Brief an den Kongress. Sie schickten auch einen Brief an die Frau von Col. Breckinridge, in der sie sie im Namen der Weiblichkeit aufforderte, ihren Ehemann aufzugeben und sich zu weigern, mit ihm zusammenzuleben. Als er im Mai 1894 zum Wahlkampf in Lexington ankam, hatte Laura Clay eine “anti-Breckinridge”-Kundgebung im Opernhaus organisiert. Daran nahmen die “besten Leute in Fayette County” teil, darunter 1.000 Frauen, die ihre Gefühle lautstark kundtaten. Breckinridge verlor die Wahl und seine politische Karriere war beendet. Ohne die Möglichkeit, eine einzige Stimme abzugeben, besiegten ihn die Frauen.

Breckinridge, Dr. Robert (1800-1871)

Breckinridge, Dr. Robert (1800-1871)
Abschnitt O, Los 151
Einer der 25 Gründer der Lexington Cemetery Corporation, Dr. Robert Breckinridge, wurde in Princeton, Yale und am Union College ausgebildet. Er praktizierte als Anwalt in Lexington, diente in der gesetzgebenden Körperschaft von Kentucky und wurde staatliche Aufsichtsbehörde für den öffentlichen Unterricht. Diese Position brachte ihm den Titel „Gründer des öffentlichen Schulsystems in Kentucky“ ein. Im Alter von 28 Jahren zog er sich aus dem politischen Leben zurück und widmete sich der Theologie. Er wurde zum Presbyterianer geweiht und diente in Baltimore und in der First Presbyterian Church in Lexington. Er war gegen die Sklaverei, und zu Beginn des Bürgerkriegs gründeten er und andere die Danville Review, die die Union stark unterstützte. Während des Krieges war Breckinridge Lincolns Berater in Kentucky.

Breckinridge, Dr. Sophonisba Preston (1866-1948)

Breckinridge, Dr. Sophonisba Preston (1866-1948)
Abschnitt O, Los 126
Die Tochter von William Cabell Preston Breckinridge, Sophonisba Preston Breckinridge, studierte Rechtswissenschaften an der University of Kentucky und wurde die erste Frau, die in die Kentucky Bar Association aufgenommen wurde. Sie war auch die erste Frau, die einen Doktor der Philosophie in Politikwissenschaft von der University of Chicago erhielt, wo sie Dekanin der School of Social Administration wurde. Besorgt um die politische und wirtschaftliche Gleichstellung der Frauen, schloss sie sich der Women’s Trade Union League an, wo sie 1911 und 1915 bei der Organisation von Streiks der Textilarbeiterinnen half. Sie arbeitete mit den Clay-Schwestern zusammen und war Vizepräsidentin der National American Woman& #8217s Suffrage Association im Jahr 1911. Sie war eine der ersten Frauen, die der NAACP beitraten Als Vertreterin vieler internationaler Konferenzen war sie die erste weibliche Delegierte bei der Panamerikanischen Konferenz in Montevideo, wo sie sich für eine legale Ausweitung der Rechte der Frauen auf Gleichberechtigung in allen Ländern einsetzte.

Breckinridge, General John Cabell (1821-1875)

Breckinridge, General John Cabell (1821-1875)
Abschnitt G, Los 1
General Breckinridge kann als einer der tragischen Helden des Bürgerkriegs angesehen werden. Dieser brillante Gentleman aus dem Süden machte 1839 seinen Abschluss am Center College in Danville, Kentucky und studierte Jura in Transsilvanien. Nachdem er als Major des Dritten Regiments im Mexikanischen Krieg gedient hatte, diente er in der gesetzgebenden Körperschaft von Kentucky und im US-Senat. Im Alter von 35 Jahren war er Vizepräsident der Vereinigten Staaten unter James Buchanan. 1860 wurde er zum Präsidenten ernannt. Als Senator während der Amtszeit von Präsident Abraham Lincoln arbeitete Breckinridge für Kompromissmaßnahmen, trat jedoch 1861 für die Sache des Südens zurück. Er stieg schnell durch die Reihen der militärischen Führung zum Kriegsminister der Konföderierten Staaten auf. Nach der Niederlage des Südens verbrachte er vier Jahre im Exil in Europa. Als er sich endlich körperlich sicher fühlte, kehrte er nach Lexington zurück. Als Mann mit gebrochenem Herzen hielt er sich zurück und weigerte sich, sich auch nur über Politik zu äußern. Seine Statue steht im Cheapside Park.

Breckinridge, John (1760-1806)

Breckinridge, John (1760-1806)
Abschnitt O, Los 134
Als Anwalt half John Breckinridge bei der Gestaltung der Verfassung von Kentucky. Er diente als Generalstaatsanwalt der Vereinigten Staaten unter Jefferson und war Präsident der Democratic Society. Nachdem Breckinridge in den späten 1780er Jahren nach Kentucky gezogen war, setzte Breckinridge einen Präzedenzfall für eine langjährige Führungsrolle der Familie Breckinridge.

Breckinridge, John Bayne (1913-1979)

Breckinridge, John Bayne (1913-1979)
Abschnitt O, Los 133
Als Absolvent der University of Kentucky erreichte John Bayne Breckinridge im Zweiten Weltkrieg den Rang eines Colonels, arbeitete beim Justizministerium in Washington und praktizierte als Anwalt in Lexington, bevor er die politische Arena betrat. Nach zwei Amtszeiten im Repräsentantenhaus von Kentucky wurde er zweimal zum Generalstaatsanwalt gewählt (1959 und 1967) und wurde dann der sechste Kentucky Breckinridge im US-Kongress (1973-1979).

Breckinridge, Mary (1881-1965)

Breckinridge, Mary (1881-1965)
Abschnitt G, Los 1
Nach ihrem Abschluss an der New Yorker School of Nursing am St. Luke’s Hospital wurde Mary Breckinridge zertifizierte Hebamme in einem Krankenhaus in London, England. Während des Ersten Weltkriegs arbeitete sie beim Visiting Nurse Service in Frankreich. Sie kehrte in die abgelegenen Grafschaften in den Bergen von Kentucky zurück und gründete die Kentucky Commission for Mothers and Babies, die 1925 zum Frontier Nursing Service wurde das Baby” durch den Vater oder eine Nachbarin, während die Mutter es aus einer hockenden Position oder auf einem Stuhl ohne Gesäß zur Welt brachte, war die Standard-Geburtsprozedur. Die “Horseback Angels” reisten innerhalb von 700 Quadratmeilen um ihr Hyden-Krankenhaus in Leslie County herum. In den ersten 50 Dienstjahren brachten sie 12.262 Babys mit einer Müttersterblichkeitsrate von 9,1 Promille zur Welt, während die nationale Sterblichkeitsrate für weiße Frauen bei der Geburt 34 Promille betrug. Mary Breckinridge verstand den Stolz der Bergbewohner und erlaubte ihnen, ihre medizinische Versorgung mit mindestens 2 USD pro Jahr und 50 USD pro Geburt zu bezahlen. Die Bezahlung erfolgte in Geld, Waffen, Eiern oder was auch immer die Bergbewohner hatten.

Bruce, Benjamin Gratz (1827-1891)

Bruce, Benjamin Gratz (1827-1891)
Abschnitt D, Los 88
Um 1865 gemeinsam mit seinem Bruder die Zeitschrift Turf, Field and Farm zu finanzieren, gab Benjamin Gratz Bruce die Praxis der Medizin und ein florierendes Lebensmittelgeschäft auf. He compiled the first two volumes of the American Stud Book and then established The Livestock Record in Lexington. An authority on thoroughbred bloodlines and performances and an officer of numerous racing organizations, he was called “the best informed man in the United States on topics of the thoroughbred.”

Buford, Abraham (1820-1884)

Buford, Abraham (1820-1884)
Section P, Lot 57
A graduate of West Point and veteran of the Mexican War, Abraham Buford was commissioned brigadier general of cavalry in the Confederate Army. After the war he returned to his Woodford County farm, Bosque Bonita, where he gained a high reputation as a turfman. A government marker was dedicated at his grave by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in 1977.

Burrows, Nathan (1774-1841)

Burrows, Nathan (1774-1841)
Section F, Lot 28
The early settlers came to “Kentucke” because they wanted land to grow crops. In 1796, Nathan Burrows invented a machine for cleaning hemp, a native Kentucky plant. It quickly became the most important crop in the area bringing in an estimated half million dollars a year in the early 1800’s. Hemp was needed for bagging cotton and making baling rope. By 1810, between 60 and 100 slaves were working the hemp in long, narrow buildings. The buildings were called rope walks because the slaves walked back and forth from spindles, twisting the hemp fiber into rope as they walked. With the importation of sisal from the Philippines after the Spanish American War, the hemp industry died. Burrows was resourceful and discovered a process for manufacturing mustard which also grew wild in Kentucky fields. His product won a premium at the World’s Fair in London in 1882.

Bush, Joseph H. (1794-1865)

Bush, Joseph H. (1794-1865)
Section P, Lot 74
One of the most popular early Kentucky portraitists was Joseph H. Bush, who studied with Thomas Sully in Philadelphia. After returning to his native state, Bush advertised in the newspaper and charged $150 per portrait. The fact that he was commissioned by some of the most prominent men of his time attests to his skill as a painter. Henry Clay, Dr. Benjamin Dudley, and even Zachary Taylor were his subjects. Like many other artists, he traveled south in the winter, often painting an entire family while he lived on his plantation in Mississippi or Louisiana.

Carty, Sr., John (1764-1845)

Carty, Sr., John (1764-1845)
Section C, Lot 25
A New Jersey native, John Carty, Sr. fought in the Revolutionary War prior to moving to Lexington. He served under Anthony Wayne in the Indian campaign of 1794 and, according to G.W. Ranck’s History of Lexington, he and Waldemard Mentelle “introduced into Kentucky the manufacture of earthen ware.”

Clay, Henry (1777-1852)

Clay, Henry (1777-1852)
Section M
Perhaps Kentucky’s most famous man was Henry Clay, who was actually born in Virginia. His father died when Clay was five. He did manual labor and worked in a drug store to help support his mother and family. At 16, he found a mentor, a Virginia lawyer who took him to Richmond to study.

Arriving in Lexington in 1797, Clay was seeking his fortune as a lawyer in a place known for many land disputes. His success in the courtroom propelled him into politics where he spent 43 years as a public figure, 27 years of which he was a U.S.Congressman and Senator. Among his accomplishments were the acquisition for the United States of Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida, the admission of Missouri to the Union, and the annexation of the Republic of Texas. Clay served four years as Secretary of State. He is also remembered for his three unsuccessful quests for the presidency.

Following his death in Washington, his remains were returned to Lexington by train, carriage and barge. All along the 1,200 mile route, people gathered to salute “The Great Compromiser.” In Lexington, Clay lay in state at his home, Ashland, and it is said that when his funeral cortege was entering The Lexington Cemetery gates, the end of the procession of mourners was just leaving Ashland, more than two miles away.

Clay, James B. (1817-1864)

Clay, James B. (1817-1864)
Section I, Lot 55
The son of Henry and Lucretia Hart Clay, James B. Clay practiced law in Lexington with his father. He was charged d’affaires to Portugal in 1849-1850, served one term in Congress, and was a member of the peace convention which met in Washington in 1861 in a futile effort to avert war. A Confederate sympathizer, he found refuge in Canada, where he died.

Clay, Laura (1849-1941)

Clay, Laura (1849-1941)
Section J, Lot 6
Daughter of Cassius and Mary Jane Warfield Clay, Laura fought for woman’s suffrage and was elected first President of the Equal Rights Association organized in 1888 in New York City. She founded the Fayette County Democratic Club and was one of eight delegates to the 1920 National Convention in San Francisco, where her name was placed in nomination for President of the United States, a first for a woman.

Clay, Mary Barr (1839 - 1924)

Clay, Mary Barr (1839 – 1924)
Section J, Lot 6
Daughter of Cassius and Mary Jane Warfield Clay, Mary Barr attended the 10th anniversary meeting of the National Woman Suffrage Association in St. Louis in 1879 as a self-appointed delegate. There she arranged to bring Susan B. Anthony to Kentucky, where Anthony gave her “Bread, Not the Ballot” speech which emphasized that the ballot was necessary for the economic protection women needed. In 1883, Mary Barr Clay was elected president of the American Women Suffrage Association. It is thought by many that Mary Bar Clay’s greatest contribution to the women’s movement was her introduction of her sister, Laura Clay, to the cause.

Clay, Mary Jane Warfield (1815-1900)

Clay, Mary Jane Warfield (1815-1900)
Section J, Lot 6
Women from the Bluegrass State were important national figures in the beginning of the women’s rights movement.

Mary Jane Warfield Clay was the wife of hot-headed abolitionist Cassius Marcellus Clay, Ambassador to Russia. Born into a wealthy Lexington family, Mrs. Clay, like so many of the women of her time, did not live a life of idle luxury. Like most prominent public figures, her husband was away from home most of their married life. Mrs. Clay raised their large family, paid for the education of six children, managed her husband’s farm, enlarged his mansion White Hall, and paid his debts. During the Civil War, one source of her income was raising and selling mules to the Union Army. “I have had upwards of a thousand mules on the farm, eight hundred and fifty are gone now,” she wrote. When her husband returned from almost nine years in Russia, he brought with him the scandal of his philandering abroad and ultimately proof of his adultery: an illegitimate son.

The Clays divorced in 1878, and their daughters learned the realities of women’s legal rights. Although their mother had not only maintained his property but improved their father’s financial situation, she was not legally entitled to any recompense, nor did she have any legal right to the custody of the children.

Clifford, John D. (1778-1820)

Clifford, John D. (1778-1820)
Section I, Lot 14
A native Philadelphian of wealth and culture, John D. Clifford contributed greatly to Lexington’s reputation as the “Athens of the West.” He was a supporter of Translyvania University, the Lexington Athanaeum, and the Episcopal Church and was keenly interested in geology and other natural sciences. He and his wife, Mary Morton, a daughter of “Lord” William Mortan, lie in unmarked graves.

Combs, General Leslie (1793-1881)

Combs, General Leslie (1793-1881)
Section E, Lot 3
A hero known as the “boy-captain of 1812,” at the age of 19 Leslie Combs rode 100 miles through snow, water and wilderness to deliver a war dispatch. Later he was taken prisoner by the Indians and was forced to run the gauntlet at Fort Miami. After the War of 1812, he settled in Lexington to practice law. As a lawyer, trustee of Transylvania, member of the Kentucky House of Representatives, railroad pioneer, and state auditor, General Combs contributed much to the early development of Lexington.

Cooper, Thomas Poe (1881-1958)

Cooper, Thomas Poe (1881-1958)
Section 46, Lot 4
Born in Illinois, Thomas Poe Cooper devoted his life to agricultural education and to improving the quality of agriculture. He was dean of the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture from 1918 to 1951, a period in which the enrollment of the college grew from 200 to 1,000, and its facilities and services increased many fold. He was acting president of the university in 1940 to 1941, and served in many state and national organizations.

DeSha, Mary (1850-1911)

DeSha, Mary (1850-1911)
Section D, Lot 18
Born and educated in Lexington, Mary DeSha taught at Dudley School for ten years and became an early advocate for enfranchisement of women. In 1890, in Washington, she was one of the four founders of the Daughters of the American Revolution. A monument bearing the DAR seal was dedicated at her grave on December 16, 1915.

Dudley, Dr. Benjamin Winslow (1785-1870)

Dudley, Dr. Benjamin Winslow (1785-1870)
Section G, Lot 10
Someone wrote about Dr. Benjamin Winslow, who was considered by many a hero of the 1833 cholera epidemic, “Our physicians are either dead or broken down, Dr. Dudley alone I believe has stood it through, and is still on the alert.”

Receiving his early education Lexington, he graduated from the University of Pennsylvania medical department at the age of 19. In returning to Lexington, he was offered the Chair of the Anatomy and Physiology Department at Transylvania University. Dudley performed over 200 lithotomies, an operation for the removal of bladder-stones, with only six fatalities, and was among the first neurosurgeons in the United States to work in trephining. This surgery involved making a circular incision in the skull to release pressure, which was believed to cause epilepsy. Dr. Dudley has an international reputation for his successful operations for bladder stone, and was a pioneer in cataract and brain surgery.

Duke, Basil Wilson (1838-1916)

Duke, Basil Wilson (1838-1916)
Section C, Lot 17
Born in Scott County, Basil Wilson Duke practiced law in St. Louis. In 1861, he married Henrietta Morgan, a sister of John Hunt Morgan. During most of the Civil War he was Morgan’s second in command, and after the latter’s death he became a commanding general of a cavalry brigade. He was author of a History of Morgan’s Cavalry and a volume of Reminiscences. He served in the Kentucky House of Representatives and had a distinguished legal career.

Duncan, George Brand (1861-1950)

Duncan, George Brand (1861-1950)
Section D, Lot 120
A native of Lexington, George Brand Duncan graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1886. He served in the Spanish-American War in Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines. In World War I, he was sent to France, where he won promotions from colonel to major general and headed the 77th and 82nd divisions. He commanded troops in several important offensives and was awarded French, British, and American decorations. He retired in 1925.

Duncan, Henry T. (1800-1880)

Duncan, Henry T. (1800-1880)
Section A, Lot 41 and 42
Born in Paris, Henry T. Duncan practiced law with the noted Thomas A. Marshall, and accumulated a fortune by manufacturing hemp and raising livestock. Later a resident of Fayette County, he was a founder of The Lexington Cemetery and president of the Clay Monument Association. In 1826, he married Eliza Dunster Pyke. Among their children was Henry Timberlake Duncan, Jr, who became an attorney, newspaper editor and twice mayor of Lexington.

Ficklin, Joseph (1775-1859)

Ficklin, Joseph (1775-1859)
Section D, Lot 106
During the Indian siege of 1782, Joseph Ficklin was with his family at Bryan Station. He was postmaster at Russellville. In 1814, he was appointed U.S. Counsul to St. Bartholomews, then in 1821 became editor of the Kentucky Gazette. From 1822 to 1841 and 1843 to 1850, Mr. Ficklin was postmaster of Lexington. In addition, he was a trustee of Transylvania University. A friend described him as “a very large man who was always followed by a small dog.”

Frazer, Oliver (1808-1864)

Frazer, Oliver (1808-1864)
Section I, Lot 53
Born in Fayette County, Oliver Frazer studied portraiture under Matthew Harris Jouett in Lexington and Thomas Sully in Philadelphia, then continued his education in Great Britain and Europe. Returning to Lexington, he was popular and busy as a portraitist until his eyesight began to fail about 1850.

Gibson, Randall Lee (1832-1892)

Gibson, Randall Lee (1832-1892)
Section K, Lot 7
A native of Woodford County, Randall Lee Gibson became a planter in Louisiana and entered the Confederate Army in the state as a private, rising to the rank of major general. After the war he practiced law, served in both houses of Congress, and was a promoter of Tulane University.

Granger, Gordon (1822-1876)

Granger, Gordon (1822-1876)
Section P, Lot 66
A veteran of the Mexican War, Gordon Granger served with distinction in the Civil War, rising from the rank of colonel of the Second Michigan Cavalry to major general commanding the Fourth Army Corps. For a time he was stationed in Lexington with headquarters at the Bodley House. After the war he married Maria Letcher of Lexington. He died at Santa Fe while commanding the District of New Mexico.

Gratz, Benjamin (1792-1884)

Gratz, Benjamin (1792-1884)
Section D, Lot 121
A contemporary of Colonel James Morrison, Benjamin Gratz was a wealthy business and civic leader, and for sixty-five years was one of Lexington’s most astute and valuable citizens. His home, Mount Hope, is still standing beside the park named for him. A partner with Colonel Morrison in hemp manufacturing, Gratz was also involved in many businesses in the city. Like Colonel Morrison, Gratz was a trustee of Transylvania. He was a curator for Kentucky University. Additionally, he was the first president of the Kentucky Agricultural and Mechanical Association. Gratz helped promote construction of the Maysville- Lexington road and the Lexington and Ohio Railroad. As a member of the city council, Gratz was instrumental in establishing Lexington’s public library, the first in the West. During the Civil War, Gratz was a Unionist, and he turned his home into a commissary and a cookhouse for the companies of Federal soldiers encamped on the lawn of Transylvania.

Gray, J. Archer (1878-1946)

Gray, J. Archer (1878-1946)
Section 32, Lot 13
As founder, and for nineteen years the pastor of the nondenominational Everybody’s Church, J. Archer Gray was a “minister at large” and counselor to Lexington’s and central Kentucky’s needy and unfortunate people. He was fatally injured in a traffic mishap.

Haggin II, Louis Lee (1913-1980)

Haggin II, Louis Lee (1913-1980)
Section 16, Lot 34
A past president of Keeneland Race Course in 1940 and the Keeneland Association in 1956, Louis Lee Haggin II was also the chairman of the board of the association from 1970 to his death in 1980. In addition to operating his own horse farm, he was an officer of the Thoroughbred Racing Association, Jockey Club, Thoroughbred Breeders of Kentucky, National Museum of Racing, and Grayson Foundation for Equine Research. In 1971, he was chosen the Jockey Club’s “Man of the Year.” He was a great-grandson of James Ben Ali Haggin of Elmendorf Farm.

Haggin, Ben Ali (1882-1951)

Haggin, Ben Ali (1882-1951)
Section 16, Lot 20
Although he never was a resident of Lexington, Ben Ali Haggin was noted in the Lexington community as a painter of society women and thoroughbred horses, as well as a designer of theatrical sets and tableaux in New York. He was a grandson of the fabulous James Ben Ali Haggin, founder of Elmendorf Farm and builder of Green Hills Mansion.

Hamilton, Holman (1910-1980)

Hamilton, Holman (1910-1980)
Section 14, Lot 12
An Indiana newspaperman, Holman Hamilton became a distinguished and popular member of the University of Kentucky history faculty. As the author of seven authoritative books and many articles on American history, he was often a visiting lecturer at other universities and was active in historical societies and historic preservation.

Hanson, Colonel Roger Weightman (1827-1863)

Hanson, Colonel Roger Weightman (1827-1863)
Section G, Lot 26
In September, 1861, when President Abraham Lincoln sent troops into Lexington and the Union flag was raised, the Confederate troop was led by Colonel Roger Weightman Hanson. The presence of Union troops in Lexington forced the First Kentucky Brigade to leave the Bluegrass. With no home, they were to be known as the Orphan’s Brigade. Under the leadership of Colonel Hanson, they fought at Shiloh, Vickburg, Chicamauga, Kennesaw Mountain, and in the defense of Atlanta.

Headley, Hal Price (1888-1962)

Headley, Hal Price (1888-1962)
Section J, Lot 52
As the owner of the 2,500-acre Beaumont Farm in Fayette County and a 10,000-acre plantation in Georgia, Hal Price Headley was one of the 20th Century’s most successful thoroughbred horsemen. He was chairman of the organizing committee of the Keeneland racetrack, first president of the Keeneland Association, leading owner at the first race meeting in 1936, and a founder of the Keeneland horse sales. He died at Keeneland while supervising the training of his horses.

Helm, Katherine (1857-1937)

Helm, Katherine (1857-1937)
Section F, Lot 36
A talented artist and author, Katherine Helm was a daughter of Confederate General Ben Hardin Helm and Emilie Todd Helm, a half-sister to Mary Todd Lincoln. Katherine’s portrait of Mrs. Lincoln hangs in the White House. She maintained a studio in New York for a number of years, but from 1912 until her death she lived and painted at Helm Place on Bowman’s Mill Road.

Huguelet, Guy A. (1891-1955)

Huguelet, Guy A. (1891-1955)
Section 44
Having become involved with intercity motorbus transportation in its infancy in the early 1920s, Guy A. Huguelet was instrumental in transforming the primitive, short-haul companies into the Southeastern Geyhound Lines, of which he was president. An attorney, he was active in many civic organizations, president of Keeneland Association, and chairman of the executive committee of the University of Kentucky.

Hunt, Charlton (1801-1836)

Hunt, Charlton (1801-1836)
Section D, Lot 105
When Lexington was incorporated in 1832, Charlton Hunt was named mayor. The new government was composed of 12 councilman, two of whom were Robert S. Todd and Benjamin Gratz. Under Hunt’s direction, the first public school was established and opened with 107 students enrolled.

Hunt, John Wesley (1773-1849)

Hunt, John Wesley (1773-1849)
Section C, Lot 17
Considered to be the first millionaire west of the Alleghenies, the family of John Wesley Hunt was one of Lexington’s most prominent families. He is the father of Charlton Hunt, who became the first mayor of Lexington. Coming to Lexington in 1795, John Wesley Hunt became a merchant, horsebreeder, hemp manufacturer, and banker. He was appointed postmaster by President John Adams in 1799. As postmaster, Mr. Hunt established a mail route from Lexington to Washington, D.C. That pony express route took two weeks to complete.

John Wesley Hunt built Hopemont (today known as The Hunt-Morgan House). The house is believed to be haunted by the old Negro nurse, Bouviette, who was called “Aunt Betty” by the Morgan Children. After “her” boys went to war, she would appear on Main Street whenever she thought any Southern troops were coming through town. She often waited for hours to give a drink of lemonade to one of “her” boys. Four of the six boys she nursed lived to carry her remains to the family lot in The Lexington Cemetery where a little stone has this simple inscription, “Bouvieete James Col. Ever Faithful.”

Ingels, Margaret (1892-1971)

Ingels, Margaret (1892-1971)
Section C, Lot 23
A native of Paris, Kentucky, Margaret Ingels was the first American woman to receive a degree in mechanical engineering. She earned her bachelor’s degree in engineering in 1916 and a master’s in 1920 from the University of Kentucky. A specialist in air conditioning, she worked in the field for thirty-two years, retiring from the Carrier Corporation in 1952.

Johnson, John Telemachus (1788-1856)

Johnson, John Telemachus (1788-1856)
Section I, Lot 45
A brother to Vice President Richard Mentor Johnson and a graduate of Transylvania University, John Telemachus Johnson was an aid to General William Henry Harrison in the War of 1812, and served in the Kentucky and U.S. House of Representatives. He became a minister in the Christian Church, an editor of religious publications, and founder of Bacon College at Georgetown.

Kaufman, Moses (1843-1924)

Kaufman, Moses (1843-1924)
Section E-1, Lot 28
Born in Bavaria, Moses Kaufman came to Lexington in 1869, and was founder of the firm which became Kaufman Clothing Company. For seventeen years he was a member of the City Council, served in the Kentucky House of Representatives, and was postmaster from 1914 to 1923. He generously supported many charitable and civic causes and was an organizer of Temple Adath Israel. His obituary in the Lexington Herald-Leader stated that he had “held an exalted place in the esteem of Lexington’s citizenry.

King, Gilbert Hinds (1839-1884)

King, Gilbert Hinds (1839-1884)
Section G, Lot 4
A New Yorker who moved to Lexington in the early 1870s, Gilbert Hinds King has been given much of the credit for persuading the City Council, the legislature, and the people of Lexington that a waterworks system was a necessity. He was an organizer of the Lexington Hydraulic and Manufacturing Company in 1882. His company completed the first reservoir in 1884 and laid water pipes below city streets. Mr. King died shortly before the system began operation.

Kirwan, Albert D. (1904-1971)

Kirwan, Albert D. (1904-1971)
Section 45, Lot 64
Having spent much of his life on the University of Kentucky campus, Albert D. Kirwan’s activities ranged from student-athlete in the 1920s to president from 1968 to 1969. Kirwan was football coach, history professor, dean of men, dean of students, and dean of the graduate school. He held the position of interim president with such distinction that the board of trustees designated him the seventh president of the university.

Markey, Lucille Parker Wright (1896-1982)

Markey, Lucille Parker Wright (1896-1982)
Section 45, Lot 754
After inheriting Calumet Farm from her first husband, Warren Wright, Lucille Parker Wright Markey continued its operation as a leading thoroughbred establishment. In 1952, she married Rear Admiral Gene Markey, a veteran of both world wars, author and Hollywood producer. Mrs. Markey donated $4.6 million to the Ephraim McDowell Cancer Research Foundation at the University of Kentucky for a research and treatment center that has been named in her honor.

Masterson, James (1752-1838)

Masterson, James (1752-1838)
Section K, Lot 6
Lexington was named for the first site of the battle of the Revolutionary War by settlers who came here in 1775. These first settlers left, but others followed. One of the settlers was James Masterson, for whom Masterson’s Station was named. In the spring of 1779, he helped build the first blockhouse on the corner of what is today Main and Mill Streets.

Masterson loved the woods and prided himself on his strength and skill. As Lexington grew and became a sophisticated city, Masterson kept the old stories of Indian dangers and buffalo and deer kills alive with his tales of the early days of the settlement. One of his favorite stories was how he brought the early settlers their salt. Masterson bragged that he had walked to the Falls of the Ohio River, in what is today Louisville, secured the salt, and returned “in a day or so,” and, in fact, he did just that.

McChord, James (1785-1820)

McChord, James (1785-1820)
Section D, Lot 116
Moving to Lexington from Baltimore with his parents at the age of five, James McChord was educated at Transylvania, studied law with Henry Clay, and attended theological seminary in New York. Returning to Lexington, he preached, taught astronomy at Transylvania, and became a member of its board of trustees. In 1815, a group of influential citizens provided for him a new house of worship on Market Street, known at the time as the McChord Church, and now the Second Presbyterian Church.

McCullough, Samuel D. (1803-1873)

McCullough, Samuel D. (1803-1873)
Section F, Lot 28
A relative of Nathan Burrows, the inventor of a machine that cleaned hemp, Samuel D. McCullough operated a mustard factory in Lexington. He shipped his mustard all over the world, claiming Queen Victoria was one of his customers.

McKee, Lt. Hugh (1844-1871)

McKee, Lt. Hugh (1844-1871)
Section P, Lot 71
Lt. McKee is immortalized by a majestic monument composed of a white marble column on a massive granite base, topped with an urn draped with the American flag. With reliefs of ships and eagles, the monument traces the career of the young officer. Lt. McKee was killed in 1871 after being the first man to reach a fort in Korea where the U.S., England, France, and Germany were fighting China for trade agreements. The fort was captured and named Fort McKee in his honor. On May 22, 1872, the Treaty of Peace, Amity, Commerce and Navigation was signed establishing diplomatic and trade relations between the United States and Korea.

McLain, Raymond F. (1905-1981)

McLain, Raymond F. (1905-1981)
Section D, Lot 3
As president of Transylvania University from 1939 to 1951, Raymond F. McLain strengthened the institution both academically and financially and increased ties between the campus and the town. He was the first president of the Henry Clay Memorial Foundation and was active in community affairs. After leaving Lexington, he served successfully as general director of the Committee on Higher Education of the National Council of Churches, president of American University in Cairo, Egypt, and a vice-president and dean of the University of Alabama.

McMurtry, John (1813-1890)

McMurtry, John (1813-1890)
Section I, Lot 63
As one of Lexington’s most prolific architects and builders, John McMurtry was trained locally as an apprentice. Rather than any one style, McMurtry’s work provided a cross-section of 19th century architecture. Floral Hall near the Red Mile, the courthouse in Winchester, Kentucky, and the chapel in the old Episcopal Cemetery on East Third Street are examples on his various designs. Never without his black stovepipe hat and umbrella, he built and supervised construction of hundreds of homes in Fayette County. He did not design, but built Christ Church Episcopal and the Loudoun House.

McVey, Frances Jewell (1889-1945)

McVey, Frances Jewell (1889-1945)
Section W, Lot 2
Before her marriage to Dr. Frank McVey in 1923, Frances Jewell McVey was dean of women at the University of Kentucky, and she was a gracious first lady at Maxwell Place until her husband’s retirement from the presidency. An active participant in campus affairs, she was a trustee of Vassar College, a member of the Lexington Board of Education, the National YWCA board, the Frontier Nursing Service, and a charter member of the Lexington Junior League and the Business and Professional Women’s Club.

McVey, Frank LeRond (1869-1953)

McVey, Frank LeRond (1869-1953)
Section 16, Lot 15
After serving eight years as head of the University of North Dakota, Frank McVey became president of the University of Kentucky in 1917 and served the university until his retirement in 1940. Distinguished as an administrator and scholar, he was elected president of numerous state, regional, and national education associations and was active in local affairs. He was the author of ten books.

Morgan, General John Hunt (1825-1864)

Morgan, General John Hunt (1825-1864)
Section C, Lot 17
When General John Hunt Morgan, known as the “Thunderbolt of the Confederacy,” enlisted in the Southern Army his property was confiscated under the so-called “catch-the-rebel attachment law,” so he lived at Hopemont with his mother, John Wesley Hunt’s daughter. He and his Raiders caused havoc with their unorthodox methods of fighting, causing an estimated $10 million in property damage to the Union. Morgan escaped from a Federal prison in Ohio by tunneling out, only to be shot and killed during another daring raid in Tennessee.

Morrison, Colonel James (1755-1823)

Morrison, Colonel James (1755-1823)
Section D, Lot 116
After serving six years in the Revolutionary War, Colonel James Morrison came to Kentucky to establish himself as a merchant and a landholder. Upon his arrival, he quickly became involved in civic affairs. He was land commissioner, state representative, and supervisor to the state representative, and supervisor of the revenue under President John Adams. Later he acquired immense wealth and became one of Lexington’s leading philanthropists. Colonel Morrison bequeathed $40,000 to build the massive Greek-revival building at Transylvania University, which today is known as “Old Morrison.”

Neville, Linda (1873-1961)

Neville, Linda (1873-1961)
Section H-1, Lot 1 and 2
Individually and through the Mountain Fund for Blindness, which she founded, Linda Neville aided thousands of persons and achieved international acclaim. Devoting more than a half century of her life to the prevention and cure of eye diseases among the people of eastern Kentucky, she was awarded the Leslie Dana gold medal of the National Society for the Prevention of Blindness, the University of Kentucky’s Sullivan Medallion, the Lexington Optimist Cup and other honors.

Noe, James Thomas Cotton (1864-1953)

Noe, James Thomas Cotton (1864-1953)
Section 13, Lot
A native of Washington County, James Thomas Cotton Noe was Kentucky’s first poet laureate. He came to the University of Kentucky in 1906 as an instructor in the old normal school and advanced to head of the College of Education. Retiring in 1934, he moved to California. Noe was the author of seven volumes of verse and many contributions to periodicals. He was designated poet laureate of Kentucky by the legislature in 1926. His Tip Sams is still in print after sixty-three years.

Patterson, James K. (1833-1922)

Patterson, James K. (1833-1922)
Section 42
A native of Scotland, Patterson moved to Indiana with his family when he was nine years old. A graduate of Hanover College, he was principal of Transylvania High School during the Civil War years and then taught at Kentucky (Transylvania) University until 1869, when he was named president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1878, it became an independent state institution that evolved into the University of Kentucky, and he remained as president until his resignation in 1910.

Piatt, Thomas (1877-1965)

Piatt, Thomas (1877-1965)
Section 26, Lot 38 and 39
The first president of the Thoroughbred Club of America, Thomas Piatt was a noted breeder of thoroughbreds at his Brookdale Farm on Spur Road, which he expanded from 210 acres in 1898 to more than 1,200 acres. One of his greatest horses was Alsab, outstanding two-year-old and three-year-old in 1941 and 1942, winner of the American Derby, and victor over Requested and Whirlaway in match races. He was president of the Breeders Sales Company and a director of Keeneland Association and in 1949 he was recognized by the Thoroughbred Club at its annual testimonial dinner for his kindliness, sportsmanship, and character.

Postlethwait, John (1769-1833)

Postlethwait, John (1769-1833)
Section 13, Lot 9
Having moved to Lexington from Carlisle, Pennsylvania in 1790, John Postlethwait soon married a daughter of Governor Scott. He was a town trustee in 1794, and in 1827 was chairman of the Board of Trustees. In 1797, John and his brother Samuel bought a large brick school building at Main and Limestone streets and converted it into a tavern, said to have been the finest in Kentucky. He operated it off and on for the next thirty-six years until his death in the great cholera epidemic. The hotel gained the name Phoenix when it was rebuilt after a fire in 1820.

Ranck, George (1841-1901)

Ranck, George (1841-1901)
Section G, Lot 1
In 1872, George Ranck published the History of Lexington, Kentucky, which is still the most romantic history of the area. He perpetuated the claims of the eccentric Transylvania scientist Rafinesque that Lexington was built on the site of pre-Columbian ruins of a walled city. Historians refuted this idea but still refer to his book for information about early life in Lexington.

Rupp, Coach Adolph (1901-1977)

Rupp, Coach Adolph (1901-1977)
Section 45, Lot 677
As coach of the University of Kentucky basketball team for forty-two years, Coach Adolph Rupp led the Wildcats to four NCAA titles. Additionally, he coached the 1948 U.S. Olympic champions and was elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. He was a raconteur and public speaker of rare ability, a shrewd businessman and a staunch supporter of the Shrine Hospital for Cripple Children.

Sayre, David Austin (1793- 1870)

Sayre, David Austin (1793- 1870)
Section O, Lot 136
David Austin Sayre is one of Lexington’s best examples of a poor boy who found fame and fortune. Walking barefoot from Maysville, Sayre arrived in Lexington in 1811 with no money. After working as a silversmith for 12 years, he joined a broker’s office. Eventually Sayre became a banker and earned his fortune. He is remembered for his philanthropy, including the donation in 1854 of the building and grounds for Sayre Female Institution, which is a preparatory school today.

Scott, Matthew T. (1786-1862)

Scott, Matthew T. (1786-1862)
Section H, Lot 4
A native of Pennsylvania, Matthew T. Scott originally moved to Frankfort, Kentucky as a boy. He studied law but in 1808 became a clerk in the Bank of Kentucky. Two years later, he moved to Lexington, where he spent the remainder of his life in the banking profession. From 1835 until his death he was an officer of the Northern Bank of Kentucky, serving the last six years as president. He was one of the four men who raised the money to establish The Lexington Cemetery, and was its first treasurer.

Solomon, William King (1775-1854)

Solomon, William King (1775-1854)
Section A, Lot
In the summer of 1833, a cholera epidemic killed 500 Lexingtonians in two months, and half the population fled the city in fear. William “King” Solomon remained to dig the graves, an act which earned him the lasting respect of the town.

Migrating to Lexington from Virginia, “King” Solomon was the town drunk who now and then did odd jobs such as digging ditches. Finally his public drunkenness earned him a vagrancy charge. He was sentenced to be auctioned as an indentured servant to the highest bidder. Aunt Charlotte, a free Negro vendor of homemade cakes and pies, purchased him for 18 cents. When the plague broke out, Aunt Charlotte pled with Solomon to leave the city. Solomon was not afraid of contracting the plague, and he remained. For two months, he labored every day burying the dead and sleeping in the pioneer graveyard at night.

On the first day of the court session in the fall of 1833, Solomon was lounging in the back of the courtroom when the judge spotted him. Without a word, the judge stepped from the bench and walked back to the vagrant. The judge shook his hand, and everyone in the room stood, walked to the gravedigger and did the same. “King” Solomon had become a hero.

Stoll, John George (1878-1959)

Stoll, John George (1878-1959)
Section S, Lot
Newspaperman John George Stoll, editor and publisher of the Lexington Leader beginning in 1914 purchased the Lexington Herald in 1937 and left it editorially free. The newspaper was the Democratic opponent of Stoll’s Republican paper. As a member of Kentucky’s House of Representative, Stoll was a strong Republican and a generous contributor to his party, but he was a businessman first. Knowing that the Bluegrass was predominately Democratic, he maintained the freedom of the Herald to promote the Democratic point of view. In 1953, he created the Lexington Herald-Leader Co., of which he was president. Stoll was president of the Lexington Water Company from 1907 to 1926 and of the Phoenix Hotel Company and First National Bank. He was later vice president of the First and City National Bank and a director of the Security Trust Company.

Sweeney, Mary E. (1879-1968)

Sweeney, Mary E. (1879-1968)
Section P, Lot 129
A native of Lexington, Mary E. Sweeney became known internationally as an authority on home economics and child care. In World War I, she was chairman of home economics in the U.S. Food Administration, headed by Herbert Hoover, and she was in demand as a lecturer and consultant in Europe, India, and China as well as America. She had degrees from Transylvania, the University of Kentucky, and Columbia University, and for twenty years was affiliated with a school for child development and family life in Detroit.

Swope, King (1893-1961)

Swope, King (1893-1961)
Section 45, Lot 21
A graduate of Centre College and the University of Kentucky law school, as well as a captain in World War I, King Swope was elected to Congress in 1919, serving one term. From 1931 to 1940 he presided over Fayette Circuit Court. A leader in Republican politics, he was twice a nominee for governor. His wife, Mary Richards Swope, also active in Republican affairs, was vice-chairman of the board of the Public Health Center and an officer in numerous patriotic and genealogical societies.

Todd, Levi (1756-1807)

Todd, Levi (1756-1807)
Section F, Lot 26
When the Lexington settlers signed a “citizens compact” on January 25, 1807, Levi Todd became a landholder. This specified that the town was to be defined “in lots” of one-half acres each for farming and “out lots” of five acres each for farming. Every man and widow over 21 years of age who had resided in Lexington for six months or who had raised a crop of corn by the following year was entitled to one “in lot” and one “out lot.”

Levi Todd helped defend Harrodsburg against the Indians, survived the Battle of Blue Licks, and became a major general in the Kentucky Militia.

In 1781, the citizens of Fayette County elected the first Board of Trustees of five men. One was Levi Todd. He was elected the first Clerk of Fayette County, an office he held for 25 years. In 1784, Kentuckians wanted to establish themselves as a state independent of Virginia. They met repeatedly in Danville framing and reframing Kentucky’s constitution. Levi Todd and John Breckinridge were delegates to the Constitutional Convention in Danville, Kentucky.

Todd, Robert S. (1790-1849)

Todd, Robert S. (1790-1849)
Section F, Lot 26
A Kentucky senator from Fayette County, Robert S. Todd was the father of Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of Abraham Lincoln.

Townsend, William H. (1890-1964)

Townsend, William H. (1890-1964)
Section 45, Lot 512
A prominent corporate and trial lawyer, William H. Townsend was a nationally recognized authority and writer on Abraham Lincoln and collector of Lincolniana. A reconteur of rare talent, his recorded speech on Cassius M. Clay is regarded as a classic. He was a founder of the Kentucky Civil War Round Table in 1953 and its president until his death, chairman of the Kentucky Lincoln Sesquicentennial Commission and member of the national commission, a trustee of Lincoln Memorial University, and a long-time director of the Lexington Public Library.

Underwood, Thomas R. (1898-1956)

Underwood, Thomas R. (1898-1956)
Abschnitt 32, Los 44
Nachdem Thomas R. Underwood seine gesamte Zeitungskarriere beim Lexington Herald verbracht hatte, begann er 1917 als Reporter und war von 1935 bis zu seinem Tod als Redakteur tätig. Aktiv in der demokratischen Politik, wurde er Vorsitzender des State Central Committee der Partei, von 1949 bis 1951 Vertreter der Vereinigten Staaten und von 1951 bis 1952 Senator. Er war vierzehn Jahre lang Sekretär der Kentucky Racing Commission, war Gründer und Sekretär der National Association of State Racing Commissioners, und war führend in vielen Bürgerorganisationen.

Varney, James (Jim) Albert Jr. (1949-2000)

Varney, James (Jim) Albert Jr. (1949-2000)
Abschnitt C-1
James Albert Varney, Jr. (Jim Varney), ein US-amerikanischer Schauspieler und Komiker, wurde in Lexington, Kentucky, als Sohn von Nancy Louise (Howard) und James Albert Varney, Sr. geboren Schauspielwettbewerbe während seines Studiums an der Lafayette High School in Lexington, Kentucky. Jim Varney ist vor allem für seine breitgefächerte komödiantische Rolle als Ernest P. Worrell bekannt, die in zahlreichen Werbekampagnen und Filmen im Fernsehen auftrat und für die er einen Daytime Emmy Award gewann. Er spielte Jed Clampett in einer Verfilmung von The Beverly Hillbillies und spielte die Stimme von Slinky Dog in Toy Story und Toy Story 2. Er starb am 10. Februar 2000 im Alter von 50 Jahren an Lungenkrebs.

Williams, General Roger D. (1856-1925)

Williams, General Roger D. (1856-1925)
Abschnitt O, Los 136
Roger D. Williams, ein Goldsucher im Westen, war Gründer und Präsident der Lexington Engine and Boiler Works. Er diente dreißig Jahre lang in der Kentucky National Guard und befehligte die Truppen in Frankfurt nach der Erschießung von Gouverneur Goebel. Während des Ersten Weltkriegs diente er in Frankreich und ging 1919 im Rang eines Brigadegenerals in den Ruhestand. Als begeisterter Sportler war er Organisator der National Fox Hunters Association. General Williams war mit Mary Lyle Sayre verheiratet, einer Tochter von Ephraim Sayre.

Widerrist, William Temple (1825-1889)

Widerrist, William Temple (1825-1889)
Abschnitt F-1, Los 9
Der aus Harrison County stammende William Temple Withers wurde Anwalt und Pflanzer in Mississippi und Louisiana. Er diente im Mexikanischen Krieg und als Oberst in der Konföderierten Armee. Er zog 1871 nach Lexington und gründete bald die Fairlawn Farm am nördlichen Ende des Broadways, die zu einem führenden Betrieb für Vollblut- und Geschirrpferde wurde.


Schau das Video: Любительская немецкая киносъемка окружения Красной армии в Барвенковком котле (Juni 2022).


Bemerkungen:

  1. Warfield

    Das unvergleichliche Thema ist für mich sehr interessant :)

  2. Ridere

    Sie haben sich geirrt, das ist offensichtlich.

  3. Ogelsvie

    A very interesting phrase



Eine Nachricht schreiben